1. No Profile Picture

Wordpress, Yoast Plugin and Keywords

I've been reading that Cornerstone Content is the way to go but every time I post to our blog, I'm encouraged by the plugin to have
    a keyword and then it becomes an issue of optimizing for that keyword. If my posts are internally linking to a cornerstone content page that
    optimized do I still concern myself with optimzing the post? In my ignorance, I've created posts that all optimize to one keyword phrase and that'
    costing me some ranking. I'm going to be fixing those and just pointing to the Cornerstone Content pages so... The question is, do I worry about optimizing the posts
    and pages that are going to internally link to Cornerstone Content pages? Or just let the Yoast plugin continue to bug me that this page isn't optimzed

Thanks
    Keith
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Hi Keith

All posts you do should be there for a reason, if your just adding posts for the sake of it there is little point it wont help you in the slightest.

Only post great content people want to read and optimise for what that page is about. You can use these posts to link to your money pages but each page should be to attract users to your site or support other pages.
  5. No Profile Picture

Here's why I ask. I do post what I think is great content in the context of my industry however, if I'm posting about the same subjects but different angles. The yoast plugin overlord always wants a keyword. While at the same time will tell me I've used it before so there in lies my dilemma. If I'm discussing a topic that is based around the same keyword and I optimize for it again, it tells me I've used it before. Being I'm only just beginning, I may be putting to much into the plugin so in the spirit of learning I ask, if I'm using keywords in post and I've already optimized a cornerstone content page and pointing to that, do I need to optimize this post also? Sorry I'm slow at this but I'm trying my best and appreciate your input.

Keith
  7. Dinosaur

I cant really comment on Yoast as I don't use it or wordpress but I am sure others maybe able to help on that.
    But generally if you have 2 or more pages there is no problem at all for them to be targeting the same keyword.
  9. No Profile Picture

I initially started out posting and optimizing for the same keyword a bunch of times and for that word on page 20 ;) so now that I'm tanned on the rear for that one I need to fix it. As I start to point these posts to the cornerstone content, I'm looking at the suggestions of the plugin and I'm thinking, I can't be optimizing every post for a new keyword, my head will explode so that's why I asked. We'll see how others respond to this.
  11. Dinosaur

Once you happy with your post you need to start building links to it, either internally or externally. It is these links that will lift your page from the bottom of the pile and start it rising.
    Just be very careful with external link building and only select reputable sites and hopefully within the same niche. Try not to keyword stuff the links either and use things like read more, click here where possible.
    Internal links you have a lot more freedom and can target the keyword within your link.
  13. No Profile Picture

I appreciate your advice. A question on what you said above. Don't keyword stuff and DO or DON'T use "read more" and "click here"?
  15. Dinosaur

I was saying the safest way for building links externally to your site is to use generic terms such as read more or click here.
    If you are selling widgets for example and create a link with the word widget in it then this is not how a end user would normally link to your site and they are more likely to post something like found a great site selling widgets click here.

You want your backlinks to appear natural is what I am trying to explain and not created by you.