Thread: WordPress tags

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

WordPress tags

I have carpet cleaning clients that rank well, however there is a new website that is
    ranking very well better than mine, This is the site https://www.back2newcleaning.com.au/category/pest-control
    this site is ranking very well and the pest control category has around 24 tags per snippet
    there is more tags then content and there are around 10 of these snippets on a category page with around 240 tags/links.
    I have looked at the other pages and there is duplicate content on most of the pages.
    my question is, is this the type of site Google likes? I have always
    known that it is not however, I reported them to Google 12 days ago and they are
    still ranking very well. Has Google changed how they index sites? Do they no longer
    care about these type of sites?

I would like to know what people think of the site and is it breaking Googles guidelines?
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

tags are just html so that in itself is not a issue. Reporting them to google is a bit pointless really as they are doing nothing wrong in that approach. It is not what is making them rank and they are not breaking any of google guidelines by building a page in such a way.
    I totally agree it's not a nice page either in its content or in it's helpfulness to users and a better design would help in conversion. Just because they are beating you in rankings does not mean they will be converting more into sales.

Their ranking power though comes I am pretty sure from their backlink profile. they have a lot of backlinks. If you had reported them for unnatural backlinks then that maybe a different story. As frustrating as it is though, concentrating on a competitor distracts your focus, you should really put your effort into improving your own site. If they have been link building (which I suspect they have) then it will only be a matter of time before you wont see them in SERPS anyway. Google have become far better at this over recent years and although it may not happen quick enough for most of us they do spot these sites and remove them. We answer way to many quesitons here from sites such as this where google have spotted their activity and their rankings have dropped and they are puzzled as to the reason.

Personally I would just get on building the best site I could and not try and take short cuts like what appears to be happening with the competitor.
    IMHO
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks good to know about the tags. The main thing I don't like about the site is the duplicate content when I put a page in copyscape there is so many pages with 80% duplicate content. I do the right thing, I build pages with unique content and then this site comes along and goes over the top of me with duplicate content, around 100 pages, all they do is change the suburb to rank for that suburb. The worst thing is they have another site that is in same service niche that has duplicate content moving up the rankings as well. Anyway i will get off my soap box now. Thanks again for your input about the tags
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Maybe you should report them for "Doorway Pages" which is what they are guilty of. That may get Googles attention.

Chedders however has given you solid advice and you should follow it.

Personally I think it is their link building that has pushed them up in the ranks, they get a large number of links from News style sites. As such, they will drive traffic. Maybe you should do the same, but not without very careful analysis to see if they are good or bad.

Here is just a partial list....

If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks KnowOneSpecial you are right the links are what is helping them rank. However the content is what I'm upset about Google says they don't want duplicate content on web pages, however I have send in a request over four weeks ago about their content and the site still has not been penalised in fact they are still increasing keyword rankings