Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Word Count isn't a ranking factor, is there any case study or proof?

According to John who is Google Employee (https://twitter.com/JohnMu/status/1021690796691607552) mentioned that Word Count isn't a ranking factor.

But I have never seen that 300-word article (even 500 words) is on the first page for at least 500 search volume(monthly) keyword.

Is there any case study or an example to prove that "Word Count isn't a ranking factor"?
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

there are 1,000's of examples of pages that dont contain 300 words but rank #1. Dont get your point.
    IMHO
  5. Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

A lengthy article contains more information (normally) so ranks for more terms. It's kind of like 1+1=2.

As for ranking for something specific, no, in some cases a page can rank #1 with next to no content.

It would make absolutely no sense for length to be a ranking factor. I don't need a 3k word article to tell me what the conversion from 1 USD in GBP is. I need the answer, and maybe the conversion rate.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Hey guys, let's provide a prime example .... also one of my fav's

Search this in Google "is it Christmas" without the quotes of course.. Content exactly 1 word ! Even if it is Christmas, it is still one word of content.

Comments on this post

• matt1966 agrees
    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Word count isnt a ranking factor but the ability to provide quality content is - so with a page on 300 words or so, you're not going to get that much quality in depth content
  11. Dinosaur

#1 for the phrase "wind forecast"
    https://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/forecast

where are the 300 words in that page ?
    in fact it breaks almost every rule going but still attracts 3 million users a month.

Comments on this post

• KnowOneSpecial agrees
    IMHO
  13. Digital Marketing

Long form content ranks better than short. <-- Period, end of story
    https://searchengineland.com/seo-use...content-230721

Users often turn to Google to answer a quick question, but research suggests that up to 10% of users’ daily information needs involve learning about a broad topic. That’s why today we’re introducing new search results to help users find in-depth articles ~ Pandu Nayak
    It's not even a question any longer.

You guys really blew this answer lol
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Apr 19th, 2019 at 03:32 PM.
  15. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by Chedders
    there are 1,000's of examples of pages that dont contain 300 words but rank #1. Dont get your point.
    So, correlation equals causation, got it.
  17. Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

So, you think Google genuinely counts an articles word count?

As in-
    Article A: 1000 words
    Article B: 1001 words

= Article B gets browny points?

If that's the case, I disagree. A longer article tends to answer questions better due to how thorough they are, meaning Google likes thorough/quality answers - not a high word count.

Yes, 9/10 of the time, an answer will be answered better with more words, but sometimes it doesn't require this.

That's my point of view anyway.

KP, with how hot you are on Google with their AI stuff, I would've thought you'd be on my wavelength of thinking. To me, word count seems like a 90's way Google would tackle problems, you'd think they would have AI's which can determine what answers a question better - without word count. (Which I personally think they do)
    Last edited by matt1966; Apr 19th, 2019 at 04:14 PM.
  19. Dinosaur

Long form content ranks better than short. <-- Period, end of story
    https://searchengineland.com/seo-use...content-230721
    Sorry KP but your citing a article written by John E Lincoln on September 28, 2015 at 10:59 am ? things have moved on a little since then.

OK maybe I should have expanded my answer and added some waffle or detail depending on your point of view.

The issue comes when content is written for the sake of it, Someone has written the perfect piece of content and it then gets rejected because it has not hit the magic word count. So the content writer then adds fluff or waffle to pad it out. It adds nothing to the original content So the article starts out as a brilliant piece of work but ends up being a poor quality, waste of protons.

Will all this bloat help the page rank ? Not in the slightest, it may even have the opposite effect as it started life as a quality piece of work and is now worthless as the good message is lost within the padding.
    IMHO
  21. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Well I think we are all on about the same end results.... let me also say KP is right, Chedders is right so is Matt. but let me clarify...

Is word count a ranking factor... no it is not and I think we can all agree Google doesn't count the words. We all know quality of content is important.

KP is correct, typically longer articles do rank better, than shorter articles.. not because the article has more words... far from it.

We have all seen long winded content that is nothing more than spam and it doesn't rank. In the same turn, we have see the many studies that show longer content ranks better.

Why ???

Because the longer form content if it is top quality will out rank short from content of equal quality. This would be because the long form content will have more information and ranks for more search terms. Ranking for more search terms results in more clicks, more click results in a "Higher CTR" and CTR is a ranking factor. So it is simply not a matter of the number of words.

I could use the same number of words and use lesser quality content and not rank as well. ( some of us would say this is indicative of keyword stuffing an article to increase word count and achieve, god forbid, a higher keyword density and some folks follow this scheme )

I used the "is it xmas" question to provide a succinct answer. I could go on about the fact that is not December, it is not the 25th of Dec. Let me explain my view point another way...

Search the term "how many days to xmas" and I think you will understand my point.

This is the #1 search results >>>> Christmas Countdown 2019 - Find out how many days until Christmas 2019

Notice the red arrow, the site is not https at all

Notice the yellow arrow, the site has no "TEXT CONTENT" it is all Graphics ! This site ranks #1 with images.

I present you textise for the proof.

Notice this is the texttise version of the page.... most surprising... has absolutely no text at all LOL

Are you a webmaster? Find out how to easily add Textise to your web site.

This page has been Textised!
    The original page address was Christmas Countdown 2019 - Find out how many days until Christmas 2019
    For sharing use http://tinyurl.com/y66ugm5s

Here are some options:

- Back to original page (in this window | in a new window)
    - Convert this page to a PDF
    - Print this page
    - Textise Home Page (full version | text only version)
    - Textise Options Page (choose font size, font colour, etc.)

Are you a webmaster? Find out how to easily add Textise to your web site.

Copyright © 2019 Monochromedia. All rights reserved.

Textise: Back to top
    This text-only page was created by Textise (www.textise.net) © Textise - CPC LLC
    To find out more about our product, visit Textise.org.
    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !
  23. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    KP is correct, typically longer articles do rank better, than shorter articles.
    Yes, I know
  25. Dinosaur

There is a huge difference between an in depth article and a spam article written to just hit a none existent word count
    When someone is asking how many words they need to reach then to me that is a clear sign they are writing for the sake of it and just padding it out and producing spam.
    IMHO
  27. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by Chedders
    There is a huge difference between an in depth article and a spam article written to just hit a none existent word count
    When someone is asking how many words they need to reach then to me that is a clear sign they are writing for the sake of it and just padding it out and producing spam.
    Ahh now I understand, you misinterpreted the question. Got it.
  29. Dinosaur

Sorry I never misinterpreted anything. The OP wanted proof that google don't use word count as a ranking factor.
    The fact that pages on first page have an average of x amount of words for a given phrase is not proof and is coming to the wrong conclusion. They are just simply better written and of higher quality than the pages down on page 10 or below.
    Trying to pad out your content to fit that target word count simply never going work. Come on KP have a coffee and face facts.
    IMHO
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: