1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Will this be seen as duplicate content

I have a well seo-d website, running on the top serps for many keywords / phrases.

Now I want to add a knowdledge base (KB) about the topic.
    Some of the current articles (not in the Knowledge base) will overlap in terms of subject.
    Obviously the KB will be filled with unique text, but the titles and content could overlap (I wont copy anything).
    Will / can this hurt my SEO?
    How should I proceed?

I dont want to loose rankings on my current articles, but I want to start ranking on direct questions and "rich snippets" in google.
  3. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hello!

I recommend taking a look at Google's duplicate content guidelines: https://support.google.com/webmaster...er/66359?hl=en

The only kind of duplicate content that Google really doesn't like is the kind that they call "malicious." That's content that is specifically duplicated with the intention of manipulating search engine rankings. For non-malicious instances of duplication, Google has a bunch of recommendations in that topic.

Originally Posted by Justi
    Obviously the KB will be filled with unique text, but the titles and content could overlap (I wont copy anything).
    Overlapping in subject is not something that think of when I think of duplicate content problems. It's generally best to make sure the text/titles are as unique as you can make it. I don't know what the specifics of your situation are, but...

For example if you have a very technical article about red widgets in one place and then an FAQ about red widgets in another, they serve different purposes right? Someone coming to the technical article might need to look at a schematic, or might need a lot of information about the red widget in general. Someone going to an FAQ might be looking for quick answers to their single question, or links to detailed but specific articles. Those pages will overlap in subject, and even if they don't repeat the same things exactly they might have very similar passages. But they both present unique value to different readers.

Comments on this post

• Justi agrees : Thanks for your prompt response!