1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Why Won’t Site Rank Unless I Add ‘UK’ to Search Query?

Hi,

It would be much appreciated if somebody could kindly offer some advice.

For a long time, I have been investigating why the site http://beertaphandles.co.uk/ does not rank in Google’s top 10 pages under the keywords 'Beer Tap Handles', unless I add the text ‘UK’ to the search query.

When I search for 'Beer Tap Handles UK', the site shows for me consistently on page 1 or 2.

The site also shows fine in the results under the query ‘wine tap handles’ and the site can be found under the keywords 'custom beer tap handles' too.

The site is a Wordpress site using the YOAST SEO plugin. In the admin dashboard, most of the pages are rated green by YOAST for good readability and SEO.

There is a working site map and a robots file, and all the pages have been submitted to Google for indexing a long time ago - no errors showing.

At first, I thought the issue might be overuse of the keywords in the content, so I removed some; however, a few of the top sites under the search terms 'Beer Tap Handles' make heavier use of the words Beer Tap Handles. Besides, the site ranks fine when I add UK, if keyword overuse was the issue, surely it would impact UK results too.

Then, I thought the .co.uk domain might be the issue, particularly because nearly all the other sites ranking under ‘beer tap handles’ have .com addresses. But, there is one or two .co.uk addresses, so perhaps it’s not that.

I always try to follow SEO best practice and by doing that the sites I build normally work their way steadily upwards - not this one though.

I haven’t come straight here for an answer; I’ve been researching the issue intermittently for 6 months now. I have used online analysis tools for pointers to the cause (Google Search Console and others) and I have made changes to the site SEO tags and content, like removing header text that included the words ‘UK’ and ‘Made in England’, all without joy.

Now, it feels like time to get some expert advice. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

It's because the UK is a tiny island with very little competition where it's very easy to rank for pretty much anything. When you open the search query up to the world the competition is much much stronger.
  5. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I don't see any co.uk results in top 50 for [Beer Tap Handles]
    But pay attention to what KernelPanic said. Adding UK to the query makes it less competitive and that's what does the trick...
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I don't know if it is just my connection from Australia but your page load speed seems very slow. Excessively slow load speed can hurt your rankings. Probably not a ranking factor here but it is important for usability.

Am I right in thinking your site is only a few months old?

My impression is that G is paying more attention to the business verification process these days. Apart from your domain name, I can find two other business names at the same address. One of them also has a My Business account as a kitchen renovator.

I'm wondering whether G is hesitating to give full ranking status while it can see conflicting business name and location signals? (This is opinion, not fact.)

Have you defined UK as your target market in your Console/Webmaster Tool account for beertaphandles.co.uk?

Have you opened a My Business account for this domain?

I can see that G has indexed 39 pages from your site and a quick check does not show any obvious indexing problems. I can also find your pages in the top 20 for other search queries. I think this is primarily a case of you need to score more search ranking points for individual words in search queries.

A quick look at your site shows signs of:

• Limited info for different types of customers
    • Limited search word targeting
    • Limited content targeting of important search words
    • Conflicting page content signals
    • Limited site-wide targeting of purchase intent words
    • Limited implementation of on-page SEO

1. Where to start SEO - with the types of customers

Who are the different types of customers you want to target?

Eg:
    • Publicans
    • Owners of wine bars and bistros
    • Outfitters & decorators of hotels, bistros and wine bars
    • Trade wholesale suppliers
    • Consumers

Where are they? In your area, in all UK and/or other countries

2. How will they search for your info?

You want to think about the different info that different types of customers will want as they progress through their purchasing process. You then need to organise your site and its content around their needs.

Eg:
    • If you sell to hotel suppliers and outfitters/decoraters, they probably need to know that trade enquiries are welcome and that trade pricing is available
    • Who is using your products? How about some in-use pics, establishment names, locations and testimonials? (This content inclusion should also boost your UK search rankings).

3. Limited content targeting

You want to create search topic specific content where you can. Your site does not do this well.

Eg: You only have one products index page. It lists both beer tap handles and wine tap handles. Ideally you want separate index pages for beer handles and wine handles. That enables you to deliver content specific to two search topics.

4. Conflicting Page Signals

If you look at your wine tap product pages, each includes a list of links to beer handle pages. The volume of beer handle content ends up telling the SE that the page is more about beer handles than wine taps, so the wine tap pages will be demoted in searches relevant to them.

5. Inclusion of purchase intent words

Most relevant SE referrals are lost because websites do not answer all relevant search queries.

Frequently used keywords are where people start their searches. Very few searchers finish at that point.

There are a whole bunch of words searchers are more likely to include as they near the end of their purchase process. It is a good practice to include these somewhere in the text of all your pages. I counted how frequently some of these types of words are used on your site pages:

Buy, quote, trade, reviews, inquiries/enquiries = Not on any page
    Price(s) = On 1 page

There are a bunch of other words that may or may not be important to you that are not used or rarely used on the site. Eg. "Pub" only occurs on 3 pages, handmade only on 4 pages.

6. Limited on-page SEO implementation

Eg. Your Product index page. Each product could show the description and text as links to the product pages. That would double the link text words and be much more user friendly. (Don't make page visitors scroll over a pic to see your words, very few will bother.)

You should review you page <titles>. Here is one product example: Coned Beer Tap | Traditional | Solid Wood | Beer Tap Handles

Would a <title> like this attract more visitors from the SERPs? "UK beer tap handle suppliers: Wooden taps in conical shapes. See range of stains and finishes"

In a forum, all we can do is offer some short and general observations.

I'd look for an SEO consultant based in the UK who will offer you SEO training and education if you want to do more SEO yourself.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by JohnAimit; May 8th, 2017 at 04:27 AM.
  9. Contributing User

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    It's because the UK is a tiny island with very little competition where it's very easy to rank for pretty much anything. When you open the search query up to the world the competition is much much stronger.
    I wish this was true!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by IvanDrago
    I wish this was true!
    The problem is that most USA based SEOs have no experience outside their country search markets.

That means they may have extremely limited knowledge of SEO and the strategies/tactics that can or should be implemented outside the USA.

Why should SEOs who are experienced in a search market limited to 10% of the world's Internet usage think they are International SEO experts?
  13. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    The problem is that most USA based SEOs have no experience outside their country search markets.

That means they may have extremely limited knowledge of SEO and the strategies/tactics that can or should be implemented outside the USA.

Why should SEOs who are experienced in a search market limited to 10% of the world's Internet usage think they are International SEO experts?
    3 things:
    -Many of my clients do business internationally and need to rank on local search engines
    -I never said I was an expert
    -The UK's population is smaller than France lol