1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

What are real SEO options?

Please bare with me, my ignorance on the subject may cause me to come off as stupid. Is SEO something that can be learned and applied without having coding experience nor my own website or are those two things a must? Im only asking because I read a small article on what SEO is and it seemed really interesting and I would like to dwell in your guys realm if at all possible some of the stuff seemed pretty cool. Any sort of advice on what kind of options there are for someone as clueless as me in this field would be great thank you very much for reading!
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Zachary25
    Any sort of advice on what kind of options there are for someone as clueless as me in this field would be great thank you very much for reading!
    I've been doing SEO for about 18 months now. I'm on this forum daily, reading articles daily and doing my own experiments whilst ranking three of my own sites. At the start, I had the exact same questions.

If you use Wordpress for example, little code knowledge is needed. As content is all in a text editor and everything is simplified. Speed optimisation, redirects and so on can be done via plugins. So I don't think it's absolutely needed... but I think if you're serious about it you should learn the basics of HTML (this won't take long at all)... The good thing about the coding side of SEO is that it is set jobs. You only need to learn how to do a set lot of things, so you don't need to know how to code - you just need to know how to do a specific job in coding.

So if you needed to know how to do a redirect, you'd need to know the code for this. But, even if you searched this forum you would find the code somewhere.

As for the "do you need a website" I studied the theory side of SEO for maybe four months. Thought I was the Yoda of SEO. I then did it practically with proper websites and I soon realized I have much to learn, and I still do! I'm always posting on the newbie section here. I think the practical side of SEO is where you get the most knowledge from. I would personally do a bit more research, then buy a cheap domain (.xyz domains are like... $0.99) then have a play around with it. Try to rank it for an uncompetitive word or something.
    Last edited by matt1966; Oct 11th, 2017 at 05:20 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you so much! I’m really interested in learning more on this subject I feel like I have so much to learn but no idea exactly what to be asking to find the answers but this certainly helped out! Like I feel like I have somewhat of a general idea as to what SEO is but I just don’t know where the starting point is at ya know? Where is step one for someone like me completely new to this whole concept?
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Good content
    Good site structure, with good internal links.
    Good external links.
    The above are the main basics.

That should keep you busy for a while.
    And remember what might work today could be a no no tomorrow.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Banned

If you are interested in SEO a basic knowledge of Coding will be an add-on advantage of your skills. If you are really keen on learning you can start with MOZ SEO Beginners Guide. Read SEO blogs on a daily basis and try implementing it. Remember SEO is all about experimenting and keeping yourself updated
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Zachary25
    Where is step one for someone like me completely new to this whole concept?
    I would personally do an Udemy course, there's plenty of free ones. Something which I wish I learnt at the start was what Google's bot actually does. So you understand why internal linking is good and so on.

But yeah, probably the first thing to learn is on-page SEO: https://backlinko.com/on-page-seo I think this is a good article for beginners with a nice infographic of the basics.

Then technical SEO, (speed, redirects, etc)

Then off-page, (good link building strategies)

Some of my most valuable lessons have been on this forum though - here is also a great place to learn anything SEO related. Listening to guys like Chedders, Test-ok and KnowOneSpecial (guys with years of experience) has proved more beneficial than any article has. The newbie section on here is awesome, so just ask away!