1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

What keywords to aim for a client who lives in a small area

Hi guys. A while back I built a website for a friend who has a business working in landscaping.

When I was looking at keywords I was looking at his business industry and his area. However after checking in Keyword Tools and SEM Rush
    for phrases like " histownsname + landscaping" nothing was coming up in terms of search volume. He only really offers his services in his area (he lives in a small town)
    There was search volume for the nearest city + landscaping but this wasn't applicable to him and his site as he's not offering his services in that area.

So I guess what my question is, if you have a client who has a business in a small town and there's not much search traffic for that area + service, what do you usually build your H1 + title tags ect around?
    Or do you use other tactics? If I used something just like "landscaping" I'd imagine that would be far too general a keyword to use.

Thanks.
  3. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

If any other area is not valid and won't do any good to client's business, I'd optimize for that small area only...
    Another option would be optimizing for a county name (not just the city)...
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  5. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Nope your doing it correctly here and have to understand something about the way google has changed / developed.
    Just because no one searches for landscaping + town does not mean that nobody is searching for his services in that area Google often use the persons location to personalise the results for them even if they have not searched for that town. So if someone in this town does just search for landscaping then if your SEO is quite good then the chances are they will show as he is local.

The way forward is to also target more landscaping terms while also focusing on the town in question, so patio's, garden ponds, grass cutting, hedge trimming, what ever the services are he provides. If he has examples of his work then post these along with the general area of where the work was carried out. i.e. the suburb (dont put the customers address)

What I am trying to say is keep building content around the town and the services, if he does not already he will own that niche should anyone come looking. But do broaden the terms and not just target landscaping.

Comments on this post

• ThomasHarvey agrees : Agreed, have done this for a client locally and worked well.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Chedders
    Nope your doing it correctly here and have to understand something about the way google has changed / developed.
    Just because no one searches for landscaping + town does not mean that nobody is searching for his services in that area Google often use the persons location to personalise the results for them even if they have not searched for that town. So if someone in this town does just search for landscaping then if your SEO is quite good then the chances are they will show as he is local.

The way forward is to also target more landscaping terms while also focusing on the town in question, so patio's, garden ponds, grass cutting, hedge trimming, what ever the services are he provides. If he has examples of his work then post these along with the general area of where the work was carried out. i.e. the suburb (dont put the customers address)

What I am trying to say is keep building content around the town and the services, if he does not already he will own that niche should anyone come looking. But do broaden the terms and not just target landscaping.
    Cheers for the reply.

At the moment I've got the location in the H1 & title tags set for more a larger region than his specific town as I thought it would be better for rankings. However after a few months I'm finding no one is searching for that larger region term. Also the client is only really offering his services now to the town he's living in and not the greater region. So it looks like it would be better to change the h1/title tags to his specific town.

One thing I did also do is to set him up a Google MyBusiness page to help him get those local search listings also. I typed in his industry into google on my phone and his Google MyBusiness listing did come up in local search.

Originally Posted by Chedders
    The way forward is to also target more landscaping terms while also focusing on the town in question, so patio's, garden ponds, grass cutting, hedge trimming, what ever the services are he provides.
    Yep, this is something I planned for when I built the site. On the home page I've got a series of H2 headings with things like <H2>hedge trimming</h2> with a small text description about each service. These then link to a indvidual page for that particular service.

I just got worried when I check Web Master tools and there wasn't much keywords info coming in through the Impressions tables