1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

What are the essential steps to change url to a new one with keywords ?

Hi,

What are the essential steps a webmaster have to do when changing a existing page's url in a website.
    If we have to include keywords in a existing url with a mix of upper and lower case letters, What all we have to do ?

For example :
    My current page url is a mix of upper and lower case letters, example.com/Software-Development
    And this url was indexed by Google.

My targeting keyword is 'Software Development in Delhi'.

I want to include keywords in the above url and make it full of lower case.
    example.com/software-development-delhi

What all are the steps we have to take while changing from'www.example.com/Software-Development' to 'www.example.com/software-development-delhi'
    What type of redirects I have to use ?
    Last edited by Balu.M; Mar 22nd, 2017 at 04:42 AM.
  3. Contributing User

301 redirect

Comments on this post

• Pierre Benneton agrees
  5. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I'll just add :
    make sure that the new page canonical tag points to the new page URL
    Update all internal links to this page
    Update the sitemap.xml file
    In your search console go to crawl > fetch as google > and fetch the new URL

For the 301 redirect you can just add the following line in your .htaccess file (in the root folder) if you are running an apache server.

# 301 redirections
    redirect 301 /Software-Development http:// www. example.com/software-development-delhi

Comments on this post

• Balu.M agrees
    Last edited by Pierre Benneton; Mar 22nd, 2017 at 05:37 AM.
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta
  7. No Profile Picture

In which page we have to add canonical tag? old page : http:// www. example.com/Software-Development or New page : http:// www. example.com/software-development-delhi ?I think we have to add canonical link tag to old page. Is it correct ?<link href="http:// www. example.com/software-development-delhi" rel="canonical" />
  9. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

a 301 redirect is done before the page is loaded so noone will ever see the canonical tag
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  11. SeoRaptor

In which page we have to add canonical tag? old page : http:// www. example.com/Software-Development or New page : http:// www. example.com/software-development-delhi ?I think we have to add canonical link tag to old page. Is it correct ?<link href="http:// www. example.com/software-development-delhi" rel="canonical" />
    No you got me wrong, I only meant that the new URL page should have <link rel="canonical" href="your new page URL" /> in the head section.

As chedders redirection takes place in htaccess so users and bots will never access the old URL page anymore
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Chedders
    a 301 redirect is done before the page is loaded so noone will ever see the canonical tag
    Ok, We will do 301 redirect before loading the page.
    Thank You very much for the information.
    Last edited by Balu.M; Mar 23rd, 2017 at 02:26 AM.
  15. No Profile Picture

Ok. Thanks Pierre for the information.
    Regarding sitemap, If we add new url in the sitemap of the website, Is there any need for resubmit sitemap in Google Search Console ?
  17. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Assuming the name of the sitemap has not changed google do periodically reload it. However when that might be is anyone's guess.
    So if the sitemap is important to you it is safer to upload it in search console else it could still try and crawl the old URL's until it refresh's the sitemap..

Many people upload sitemaps religiously but if all your pages are crawlable there is no real need to have one.I have ran many sites without uploading a sitemap plus think of all the sites out there that dont use search console. They dont have any problems in ranking in google so its not a requirement as such, it can help in cases like this when you wish to force something quicker. So seeing as you already have one uploaded you need to either delete it or replace it for the new pages to get picked up quicker and the old pages dropped.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  19. SeoRaptor

If we add new url in the sitemap of the website, Is there any need for resubmit sitemap in Google Search Console ?
    If your sitemap is already in Search console and the sitemap link doesn't change, there is no need to resubmit it.

If you want to be sure hat Google quickly know about a new URL you can go in your search console account > crawl > Fetch as Google.
    Then you add the URL and fetch it, once done you can ask Google to index only that URL or this URL and all linked URLs. Make sure the status is complete and not partial.