Thread: Website speed

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Website speed

It seems I have come to the end of the road with my provider and need to find another hosting that is ,well lets just say a lot lot more speedier than my current provider..
    Is there anyone out there than can suggest a good hosting site that is fast and doesn't cost an arm and and a leg to use and is genuinely good .. Thing is I found a few but when you read the reviews on them they are absolutely terrible with the odd good 1 in between so you never know if you can trust it or not ..Also needs to be zencart friendly

thanks
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

When you look at server/hosting reviews, bear in mind that most people who bother to place reviews will be negative... (Except the friends of the site who were coerced into adding the "positive reviews")

Rent some virtual server-space and build your own... With Cloud-Based hosting it's much easier/cheaper than it used to be
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ClickyB
    Rent some virtual server-space and build your own... With Cloud-Based hosting it's much easier/cheaper than it used to be
    Did not know about this ... Are you allowed to show an example of this ,as I would be interested ... I am already on a cloud hosting but am sharing it with others on the same IP .. But if it's better than would be happy to move
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by ClickyB
    When you look at server/hosting reviews, bear in mind that most people who bother to place reviews will be negative... (Except the friends of the site who were coerced into adding the "positive reviews")

Agreed, in addition, basic optimizations such as code compression, image compression, enabling gzip and caching can help drastically, even on shared hosting if it's a financial issue.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by joshz
    Agreed, in addition, basic optimizations such as code compression, image compression, enabling gzip and caching can help drastically, even on shared hosting if it's a financial issue.
    Hi thanks for replying
    I wouldn't dare doing code compression, my messing around has cost me too much already .. Lucky enough I use zencart and gzip is already enabled, I did turn it off once and could see the difference..
    I have spent ages resizing all my images to a decent size and have installed caesium to compress my images .. But am unsure what to compress to atm have only done 1 folder of images as a test but can't see any difference ,although not sure if it's a case of all the images need to be done before I see a difference..
    Unfortunately money is a issue as I don't sell a heck of a lot as yet as it is only part time and have a arrangement with 3 companies to ship stuff once I sell so don't need stock and such like ..
    But as you say code compression would definitely help my speeds ,but with that brings other problems when upgrades come along ..
    Perhaps I need to dig a bit deeper in that part

thanks
  11. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by Andy-C27
    Hi thanks for replying
    I wouldn't dare doing code compression, my messing around has cost me too much already .. Lucky enough I use zencart and gzip is already enabled, I did turn it off once and could see the difference..
    I have spent ages resizing all my images to a decent size and have installed caesium to compress my images .. But am unsure what to compress to atm have only done 1 folder of images as a test but can't see any difference ,although not sure if it's a case of all the images need to be done before I see a difference..
    Unfortunately money is a issue as I don't sell a heck of a lot as yet as it is only part time and have a arrangement with 3 companies to ship stuff once I sell so don't need stock and such like ..
    But as you say code compression would definitely help my speeds ,but with that brings other problems when upgrades come along ..
    Perhaps I need to dig a bit deeper in that part

thanks
    On the contrary, there are a massive amount of tools online that can help. Compression of code is deleting or removing unneeded spaces and entries, this can be done on an automated level, actually.

Ditto with image compression, ySlow is a great tool to gauge these items with - it's a plugin by Yahoo for FireFox or Chrome.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.