1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Webshop and blog - best way to do it?

Hello!

I have a webshop that sells healthy food products, and I want to get a blog up and running.

The plan with blog, is to post mostly recipes and other inspirational food related posts. The idea is that one part of the recipes posts is an ingredients list, with all the products used in that recipe. Some of the products can be purchased in the webshop, and those that can, will then be links to that specific product on the webshop.

So there are two reasons that I want to have a blog - 1) to have good content to inspire people/customers, and 2) SEO - to get the webshop to rank better in Google. I also want to have the blog ranking well, but for different keywords than the webshop (typically recipe related keywords).

The big question is - what is the best way to do it, taking the above information into account?

The options I can think of is:

- webshop.com/blog (the blog being a subdirectory of the webshop)
    - blog.webshop.com (the blog being a subdomain)
    - blog.com (another domain than the webshop)

What do you think is the best solution, and why?

Thanks in advance!
  3. No Profile Picture

No one who can help?
  5. Senior Member
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I'd venture to say most people on here would say to either do it as a subdomain or as webshop.com/blog.
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I'd make it a sub page. webshop.com/blog..but name it something other than blog..like maybe recipes.
    Then the content and internal links are all within the same site. a sub domain is like another site.

Comments on this post

• jamespayne agrees : This guy knows!
    Last edited by Test-ok; Oct 10th, 2014 at 04:13 PM. Reason: spelling
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by jamespayne
    I'd venture to say most people on here would say to either do it as a subdomain or as webshop.com/blog.
    Thank you very much, think it will be the webshop.com/blog solution

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    I'd make it a sub page. webshop.com/blog..but name it something oputher than blog..like maybe recipes.
    The the content and internal links are all within the same site. a sub domain is like another site.
    Thanks for your reply! I have never thought of naming the subdirectory something other than "blog". What would the benefits of naming it "recipes" be?

Some final questions I hope you can help with:

1. I have read that if I link from the blog to the webshop and vice versa, that it would be bad for SEO? I am aware that it will not help SEO much as it is internal linking, but thats not the reason for it. The reason is to help people find and buy ingredients used in the different recipes, so that they can make it themselves. But I am a bit concerned that it will be bad for SEO, I can't imagine it would, but I read on another forum that it will?

2. I have Google Analytics set up on the webshop. The subdirectory is going to be a Wordpress blog, and I would like the stats for the webshop and the blog to be seperate. How do I set that up?
  11. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

What would the benefits of naming it "recipes" be?
    It's a keyword, no one searches for blog.

if I link from the blog to the webshop and vice versa, that it would be bad for SEO?
    Internal linking is not bad for seo, but rather it's good for seo.

The reason is to help people find and buy ingredients used in the different recipes
    hence the reason to name the blog webshop.com/recipes

But I am a bit concerned that it will be bad for SEO, I can't imagine it would, but I read on another forum that it will?

where?

Google Analytics

don't use google analytics, statcounter shows me all the information I need.