1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Are we being punished for EMD?

My client moved their site about two months ago from a branded URL to a EMD (their decision, before I came on board) and at the same time redesigned the website. I have tried to carefully use keywords on the site, not using too many on a page. But after 6 weeks, they are still on the third page for their main keyword, "paper cutters", something their old branded domain used to rank #3-4 on the 1st page for (above some of the big box retailers selling home versions).

Do I need to give this more time? Or is our KW density along with EMD marking us as spammy?

The site is papercutters dot com.
  3. Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Nope, nothing to do the with the domain name. The migration/redesign will have been done incorrectly.
  5. No Profile Picture

Could you elaborate? We performed these steps after the move. Did we miss something?

- Created 301s for every page, and mapped it page to page (eg news story to news story)

- Initiated a domain move in Search Console

- Submitted sitemap XML in SC

- Made sure the amount of copy and KWs didn't decrease across most pages

- Site has easy to follow structure (the old site structure was difficult to follow - whole orphaned sections)

- Removed very old news stories but made sure not to nix more than about 20%. New posts to news are made bi monthly.
  7. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Firstly there is no penalty for a EMD so that is not the issue. The EDM wont help you either, that advantage went a long time ago.

So you have done 3 things. (at least) all at the same time.

Change domain names
    Change site structure
    removed old content.

Now its going to be difficult which is to blame for the drop. I would suspect though the site structure is at fault. You have lowered internal links to important pages but that's a pure guess.
    IMHO
  9. No Profile Picture

Chedders,

The homepage and news pages have a good amount of deep internal links but the rest of the site's pages are a bit thin on internal links. I'll start there and see what it gets us.

Thanks for your input!

Originally Posted by Chedders
    Firstly there is no penalty for a EMD so that is not the issue. The EDM wont help you either, that advantage went a long time ago.

So you have done 3 things. (at least) all at the same time.

Change domain names
    Change site structure
    removed old content.

Now its going to be difficult which is to blame for the drop. I would suspect though the site structure is at fault. You have lowered internal links to important pages but that's a pure guess.
  11. Digital Marketing

Is it a .com or something else?
  13. No Profile Picture

It is a .com

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Is it a .com or something else?
  15. Dinosaur

This will end up in 20 questions. As the next one is was it a .com.

Your not really helping us here, I think you need to give us the old and new domains so someone can have a look to try and help you.
    dont make it a link, so only post the name without https etc
    IMHO
  17. No Profile Picture

It was all in the original post: KW is "paper cutters". Domain is papercutters dot com.

I didn't however post what the old domain was in the original post - colterpeterson dot com.

Originally Posted by Chedders
    This will end up in 20 questions. As the next one is was it a .com.

Your not really helping us here, I think you need to give us the old and new domains so someone can have a look to try and help you.
    dont make it a link, so only post the name without https etc
  19. Digital Marketing

Wow, striking comparison. Everything seems to be in order (but I only looked for 5 minutes) If I was in charge I would throw a 1000 word article on the home page all about paper cutters.
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Nov 11th, 2018 at 03:33 PM.
  21. Dinosaur

Sorry must have missed it.

Well the good news is there are still 90 ish pages from your old site still in the index. That would mean not all the page rank has passed over to the new site yet so to me that needs to happen before panicking.
    I can understand why you have installed crazyegg, but it will have a small impact on speed. I mention that because at the moment you need your site as fast as possible so google crawls as much as it can within your crawl budget. Its something to bear in mind as it may slow down the transition.

I noticed as well you have not implemented any canonical tags, although that's not the route of your problem it really should be looked at going forward.
    IMHO
  23. Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Are you just redirecting all previous pages to your new homepage? Based on the few URLs I've checked, that seems the case. This isn't how you should be migrating domains.

I also see the tool I'm using has found backlinks to the new domain. Have you checked that the backlink profile of the new domain isn't toxic?

PS- This tool is crap for finding links. If they're clocking 1k, they'll be a lot more.
    Last edited by matt1966; Nov 11th, 2018 at 07:07 PM.
  25. No Profile Picture

These URLs never existed on the old site (not sure where the tool is pulling them from) so I think what you're seeing is the 301 "catch all".

We mapped page to page for 301s in every instance we could. The only exception being some of the news stories from 6-8 years ago that were nixed and now forward to the News landing page, and a few misc. pages that no longer exist and forward to the homepage.

Originally Posted by matt1966
    Are you just redirecting all previous pages to your new homepage? Based on the few URLs I've checked, that seems the case. This isn't how you should be migrating domains.

I also see the tool I'm using has found backlinks to the new domain. Have you checked that the backlink profile of the new domain isn't toxic?

PS- This tool is crap for finding links. If they're clocking 1k, they'll be a lot more.
  27. No Profile Picture

Thanks Chedders. What you're saying about PR makes sense. And it's a bit of relief. After two months I would've thought it would be complete but having never done a domain move in SC before, can't say what's normal. I'll keep monitoring.

Same on crazyegg. I'll remove until things settle. Good call.

I monitor for duplicate content issues and insert canonicals where needed. It just never made sense to me to programmatically insert canonicals on every page as there are some non-canonical pages. Doing it manually over this many pages seems crazy too. But perhaps I'm thinking of this wrong?
  29. No Profile Picture

When you say striking comparison, you mean SERP between the old and new domain? Yes, agreed. I'll talk to the client about beefing up copy.

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Wow, striking comparison. Everything seems to be in order (but I only looked for 5 minutes) If I was in charge I would throw a 1000 word article on the home page all about paper cutters.