1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Ways to build backlinks

I'm new to SEO and hve read one book about it so far. Here are my understanding of how to build backlinks below. Intermediate SEO practitioner, please tell me if I'm wrong in any of these methods below.

1. Blogging
    2. Blog guest commenting
    3. Social media posting
    4. Forum posting
    5. Registering your website to business directories
    6. Uploading videos to Youtube

My website is a ecommerce shp from Storenvy and blogging is not allowed which leaves me to 5 different ways to buildbacklinks. Any suggestions on what I should include in my SEO project? Thank you all for taking your time to read my post.
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

The book your reading is out of date.
    Your attention should be on link earning not link building. Your effort should be into making the content you have the very best it can be and encourage users to share it. If your saying no one will want to share the content or link to it then your admitting that your content is not worth publishing.

All of the things you have listed could damage your site as the places that are easy to gain links from will be worth nothing or even worse harm you, Most will be nofollow links so carry no positive juice for you.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  5. No Profile Picture

How do you create content and make others share when the website is purely an e-commerce website with items only? By the way, the book I read was "SEO for 2017".

My competitor is ranking number one with pure items and about 10 backlinks.
  7. Dinosaur

"SEO for 2017".
    So that would mean it was written in 2016, its out of date as most books that claim to teach you SEO are.

You are totally misunderstanding backlinks here, it is not the quantity of backlinks it about the quality of where they are coming from and if they are follow or nofollow links, You claim they only have 10 backlinks but you will never know the true number and no tool can give you a update figure.

So you cant write content about the products your selling ? lets assume your selling phones, recently samsung released a new phone so in that case you could do a review of this new phone, compare it against the competition, i.e. what ever the latest iphone is, dp a feature by feature comparison, price compare etc. You are then also able to place a link to the product on your site for where they can buy the phone. I have not even touched on what could be done, but every product you could do this with which would help your users and if the users like what they have read they may also share it.
  9. No Profile Picture

My store was built on Storenvy.com in which the platform does not allow a blog page. My competitor's backlinks were just a bunch of tumblr blogs.
  11. Dinosaur

Dont matter, build a wordpress site and do the reviews on there, you can then link to your store for readers to buy the product from Storenvy. If you start getting a lot of users to your wordpress site then you could even install woo commerce and sell directly to them from that site.

Using 3rd party shops like this a good to get going fast but long term you will want more control such as your finding now. There is no substitute for owning your own store where you can control things and also get rid of a lot of the fee's they will charge you.

My advise would be to create a new shop yourself and over time migrate over to it as you gain customers. I was approached around Christmas time by someone who only sold on eBay. They was getting fed up with the restrictions imposed. I told them the same thing, setup a site using wordpress and start building a plan B store, that was about 10 months ago, now the sales from her site are close to the sales she had from eBay but more importantly growing as the site gains traction. Each sale she gets from eBay she includes a business card with her website on and you would be surprised how many now order direct.
    Last edited by Chedders; Oct 8th, 2017 at 07:08 AM.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Chedders
    Dont matter, build a wordpress site and do the reviews on there, you can then link to your store for readers to buy the product from Storenvy. If you start getting a lot of users to your wordpress site then you could even install woo commerce and sell directly to them from that site.

Using 3rd party shops like this a good to get going fast but long term you will want more control such as your finding now. There is no substitute for owning your own store where you can control things and also get rid of a lot of the fee's they will charge you.

My advise would be to create a new shop yourself and over time migrate over to it as you gain customers. I was approached around Christmas time by someone who only sold on eBay. They was getting fed up with the restrictions imposed. I told them the same thing, setup a site using wordpress and start building a plan B store, that was about 10 months ago, now the sales from her site are close to the sales she had from eBay but more importantly growing as the site gains traction. Each sale she gets from eBay she includes a business card with her website on and you would be surprised how many now order direct.
    Thanks! I do have a website on wordpress but it seems like there are too much to deal with such as plugins running out of date and site going down intermittenly. What I would like to know is what link building methods will work in the long run besides writing blogs as I'm not a good writer and English is my 2nd language.
    Last edited by Rhonda_lam; Oct 8th, 2017 at 09:46 AM.
  15. Dinosaur

Short term gains can be got from doing link building but for long term you really need your users to do it. Doing it yourself is risky and often has a negative effect. Easy got links are the worse type such as directories, forum posts etc they should be avoided.

I am not a huge fan of wordpress myself but its got a really strong user base, in fact more sites are built with wordpress than any other platform. The support available is outstanding and so are all the themes / plugins.
    However using plugins are a choice, you dont have to use them. They do go out of date and need updating from time to time but normally thats a good thing as they have been updated for a reason.

You need to change as well how you think of wordpress, its common for people to think of it as just a blog, however it can be used to build a website without a blog, its just the facility is there should you want to use that part of it. Dont use the posts section if thats no interest to you and stick to the page area.

I mentioned woocommerce, there are others as well but that one is one of the most popular, that enables to turn wordpress into a shop and you could very easy produce a shop like you currently have and make it your own.
  17. No Profile Picture

What about links that are posted by the blog owner? Are those a reliable link building method?
  19. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

You need to do some extensive reading.