1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Using ID and Class together harmful?

Hi there

Someone told me using an ID and a class together is "forbidden in SEO" (his words not mine). I find it hard to believe as both have their purpose.

Is there any truth to that?

Thanks!
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I have no idea what your talking about. ID and class together, huh?
    What is ID and what is class as far as seo goes?
  5. No Profile Picture

Sorry about that I meant in html. Like this:

<div class="menus" id="top-menu"></div>

He claims that one has to choose between the id and the class but you can't use both.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

If having sloppy html doesn't affect your ranking, I'm sure having ID and classes together wouldn't do anything.

If it was a web designer which said this they're probably just trying to get more money out of you. Whenever I used to pay for any job just about all of them would claim html validation was essential to SEO, this that and the other - reality is they just wanted more work.

To my knowledge as long as Google can render the page there's no issue, i doubt having an extra class / ID would make a 0.00001 of difference on load time either, so I don't think it's anything to do with speed

Comments on this post

• KnowOneSpecial agrees
  9. Just a Photographer
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Having an ID and class in the same line is normal practice. Can't see this being an issue for SEO.

Did he give you a source or is it one of those "I heard it from somebody that heard it from somebody..."

Comments on this post

• KnowOneSpecial agrees
    - Mike

Jack of all trades, master of none.
  11. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

You example is normal practice for most websites. It does not effect SEO in the slightest.
    I had someone trying to instruct me the names of ID's and Class where an important SEO tactic so they would do the following

<div id="Red-Shoes" class="red shoes">some text</div>

I did mean to set up a test but in all honesty I could not be bothered to spend the time and effort to disprove the point.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by matt1966
    If having sloppy html doesn't affect your ranking, I'm sure having ID and classes together wouldn't do anything.

If it was a web designer which said this they're probably just trying to get more money out of you. Whenever I used to pay for any job just about all of them would claim html validation was essential to SEO, this that and the other - reality is they just wanted more work.

To my knowledge as long as Google can render the page there's no issue, i doubt having an extra class / ID would make a 0.00001 of difference on load time either, so I don't think it's anything to do with speed
    He's actually someone who claims to be an SEO expert. He gets good results most of the time but sometimes he misunderstands some things and I need to countercheck unfortunately.

Originally Posted by Hikin Mike
    Having an ID and class in the same line is normal practice. Can't see this being an issue for SEO.

Did he give you a source or is it one of those "I heard it from somebody that heard it from somebody..."
    No he never does give his sources which is why I resort to this board to countercheck.

Originally Posted by Chedders
    You example is normal practice for most websites. It does not effect SEO in the slightest.
    I had someone trying to instruct me the names of ID's and Class where an important SEO tactic so they would do the following

<div id="Red-Shoes" class="red shoes">some text</div>

I did mean to set up a test but in all honesty I could not be bothered to spend the time and effort to disprove the point.
    No don't lose your time with this. I kind of knew the answer too but I wanted to check with actual SEO experts first which I'm not. I'm a Web developer and this rule made absolutely no sens to me given the ID and the Class both have their unique purpose.

Thank you all for your time!