1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Using .com and .co.uk affect SEO?

Hi everyone,

I am currently running an e-commerce website in USA and we are planning to launch it in the UK soon. Currently the website is on .com. Will our ranking be effected due to duplicate content if we have the same content on our .co.uk website? Their will be minor changes in both websites such as 'color' in the USA website and 'colour' in the UK.

What is the best way and safest way to do this as I don't want it to hurt our ranking?

Thanks in advance
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Same language, a UK site isn't needed, the dot com should work, why do you want to launch a UK site under a different domain?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    Same language, a UK site isn't needed, the dot com should work, why do you want to launch a UK site under a different domain?
    Thanks for your reply.

I want to launch a uk side under a uk domain as I Believe customers will have more trust that it's based in the same country which will increase sales.

Or maybe I could stick to .com and mention under contact us that we are located in USA and UK. Also make the website automatically detect it's someone from the UK so the prices come in pounds?
  7. No Profile Picture

Also another issue is that we sell bathrobes. In USA people say bathrobes but in the UK it's dressing gowns. So it'll be easier for us to target dressing gowns in uk with a separate domain.

Unless if we stick to .com maybe we could write a few blogs targeting dressing gown keyword to generate uk traffic?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Create a sub dir ....

Main site
    yourdomian.com/
    then the UK
    yourdomain.com/uk/

For pages with extremely, almost dup content, juducious use of rel=alternate and hreflang tags should resolve those issues.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    Create a sub dir ....

Main site
    yourdomian.com/
    then the UK
    yourdomain.com/uk/

For pages with extremely, almost dup content, juducious use of rel=alternate and hreflang tags should resolve those issues.
    Thanks for your reply.

I think the best and safest option for me is to just mention that we are located in the USA and UK. We have a decent blog page on the website too from which our keywords are ranking first page. Maybe we could write a few high quality blog posts targetting 'Dressing gowns' instead of 'bathrobes' in order to generate traffic from the UK.
    What do you guys think?
  13. No Profile Picture

Could anyone else give me more insight where they've had similar experience? As I would like to make the changes asap.
  15. No Profile Picture

anyone????
  17. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

auto detecting the user is not a good idea. Google bot is treated as a user and will always be directed to the USA version as that's where they are based.
    the subfolder route is definitely the way to go and allow the user to select. Use href lang tag to tell google of the country different pages (same content) and all will be good.

That way the UK version will also benefit from the authority you have built up within your niche so should make ranking the UK version easier
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog