1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

use Medium as a blog = lost SEO.. right?

Stumbled across this pretty cool site and wanted to check their blog, when it linked to Medium!?!

After all the nice work they put into the site, why would they channel traffic out to Medium?

gethover.com

On the other hand.. publishing to Medium and maybe draw traffic from there is a good idea?
    Last edited by ThomasHarvey; Apr 27th, 2016 at 08:46 AM.
  3. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I'm actually surprised I haven't seen more about Medium on SEO Chat. I feel like it's become pretty popular.

But I also think the popular opinion here is that if you have a blog, you should host it on your own site. That way you can keep the links for yourself and build some long-term power.

There's an interesting discussion here: https://inbound.org/discuss/ask-inbo...dium-com-posts

Some users say that they use Medium for one or two blog posts every so often. They don't host the whole blog there - it's just a way to get some additional outreach. Then they link to their hosted blog at the end of the Medium post.

I'm not sure how much work that would take though. I don't know Medium very well, but in most communities you need to be active and trusted to get oodles of traffic and attention.

Anyway - maybe the site you found is using Medium because they don't want to pay to host their own blog. Or maybe they started on Medium, have a ton of followers there, and are afraid to lose people if they move to self-hosting. Hard to say. But to answer your title, yes - any links that their Medium blog posts get will stay with Medium I believe.