Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
    #1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Newbie
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    UK site drop after google october update


    Hi everyone,
    I'm based in the UK and my rankings on Google.co.uk fell sharply on the 3rd/4th October. I know Google did an update at around that time. I had some bad links coming from a blog I owned which was a bit spammy and had a (faulty?) plugin that was churning out bad links to my site.
    The site, [URL removed at users request] was doing ok, it was hovering around the top of page 2/bottom of page 1 for phrases like 'geek t shirts' (the keyword I'm mostly focusing on) and 'funny t shirts'.

    Since the Google update it's been pretty much killed off and shoved away to the likes of page 100, I took the measure of getting rid of the plugin on the blog right away, before deciding that the blog itself should go too last month.

    Thing is I'm still stuck on stupid page numbers, page ten or twenty for pages I'd have been one or two for before. It's really frustrating, I think I deserve to be higher (though who doesn't think that!). opensiteexplorer.org seems to think my site has more authority than the site currently ranking position 4 for geek t shirts which just rubs salt in!
    Any advice or thoughts would really appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Mark.
    Last edited by NathanielB; Dec 15th, 2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: URL removed at users request
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London, Uk
    Posts
    2,686
    Rep Power
    1621
    I'm looking at your site and I don't see anything that would deserve to make it rank.

    Your links seem to be all built by yourself from unrelated sites.

    Your site itself has some quirky tshirts.. there are loads of sites doing the same thing, whats different about you?

    Comments on this post

    • KernelPanic agrees : bingo
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Newbie
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by DarrenHaye
    I'm looking at your site and I don't see anything that would deserve to make it rank.

    Your links seem to be all built by yourself from unrelated sites.

    Your site itself has some quirky tshirts.. there are loads of sites doing the same thing, whats different about you?
    Though i'd agree if we were going for just the KW 'funny t shirts' I disagree that we're just like every other generic funny t shirt site, I think we are different, we're in a niche and (were) quite successfully getting hits and sales from some of our chosen niches, such as 'movie t shirts' and 'zombie t shirts' and so on.
    Google used to like us, it doesn't any more and I don't think the reason for that is that its suddenly decided that we're just another generic site.
    Thanks for the thought any way,
    Mark.

    Comments on this post

    • KernelPanic : you will fail because you don't know how to listen
  6. #4
  7. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,986
    Rep Power
    5749
    Originally Posted by map1984
    Though i'd agree if we were going for just the KW 'funny t shirts' I disagree that we're just like every other generic funny t shirt site, I think we are different, we're in a niche and (were) quite successfully getting hits and sales from some of our chosen niches, such as 'movie t shirts' and 'zombie t shirts' and so on.
    Google used to like us, it doesn't any more and I don't think the reason for that is that its suddenly decided that we're just another generic site.
    Thanks for the thought any way,
    Mark.
    You're special because you sell zombie t-shirts? oreally Mark? Do you understand that there are lots and lots of t-shirt companies putting lots and lots of money into their advertising Mark? I know of an international company that has no interest in making money for the next 2 years, they will pump millions into their brand and THEN hope to start turning a profit. What's your marketing plan Mark? Arguing with a skilled SEO on this forum who told you what you needed to hear for free?

    Good luck.
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    You're special because you sell zombie t-shirts? oreally Mark? Do you understand that there are lots and lots of t-shirt companies putting lots and lots of money into their advertising Mark? I know of an international company that has no interest in making money for the next 2 years, they will pump millions into their brand and THEN hope to start turning a profit. What's your marketing plan Mark? Arguing with a skilled SEO on this forum who told you what you needed to hear for free?

    Good luck.
    I've no idea what you're on about, I'm not arguing. I'm saying we used to rank well across a wide range of keywords, some competitive like 'geek t shirts', some not so competitive like 'zombie t shirts' and make a profit. We no longer rank well for any of them, all I wanted to know was any ideas on the change in rank, we hired an (fairly well regarded)SEO freelance for the last 7 months, but a couple of months after the updates we let them go because they seemed to have run out of ideas and our positions weren't moving(or at least not upwards!).
    All I really wanted was a bit of independent advice. Saying it's not unique makes little sense to me, it's not a clone, but it's not a one of a kind, there's probably a maximum of ten other companies in the UK offering similar stuff to us, if we were in position number 11 I think you'd have a point.
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0
    I've just re-read this thread, hoping to work out this 'unique' . I'm just confused by what you mean, we have a wider range than many of our rivals, lots of designs unique to us, and we were the first site dedicated to geek t shirts in the UK market. the website isn't based on anyone elses.
    Could you give me any vague idea of something to make it what you'd consider unique? I could stick a midi on the homepage, don't see that much nowadays ;)
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London, Uk
    Posts
    2,686
    Rep Power
    1621
    You have a website with some quirky tshirts on, that is it, there are 100's of other websites doing that same thing.

    What makes you stand out? what makes you any different?

    Currently the answer is nothing.

    You can disagree with me and bury your head in the sand and say you're the oldest with lots of unique designs etc.. great, but then where is your fan base? how comes you only have a small amount of twitter followers and facebook likes?

    I'm not trying to berate you I'm just trying to bring you into reality.
  14. #8
  15. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0
    I agree, we get an incredible sales conversion rate but no one sees us. But my question is really about Google and why it has gone off of us, rather than how can I start a successful social media campaign.
  16. #9
  17. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,986
    Rep Power
    5749
    wow. You want someone to tell you exactly which buttons to push in exactly what order so you can trick Google into thinking you're relevant? Sorry it doesn't work like that. You have to actually work at it now.
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London, Uk
    Posts
    2,686
    Rep Power
    1621
    Originally Posted by mark1984
    I agree, we get an incredible sales conversion rate but no one sees us. But my question is really about Google and why it has gone off of us, rather than how can I start a successful social media campaign.
    It's not about just having a successful social media campaign, it's about having a successful business.

    If your conversion is incredible why don't you just use adwords.
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  20. #11
  21. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0
    for some reason the conversion rates of google adwords are poor compared with organic hits.
    So I think I see where the confusion is coming from, if I understand this right; if I hired one of you guys for SEO you'd be spending your time tweeting and coming up with promo campaigns rather than revising headers and tags and worrying about backlinks?
  22. #12
  23. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,986
    Rep Power
    5749
    1) I don't tweet
    2) what's a promo campaign?
    3) Yes to on-site SEO and encouraging quality inbound links.
    4) I wouldn't take the work, sorry
  24. #13
  25. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0
    Snipped link

    intriguing answers. They seem to contradict everything you've said. I've come here expecting a bit of advice on the internal and external work and instead, with exception of your last post you've advised none of those things, in fact saying the opposite.
    Don't worry about wasting more time replying, I've requested this thread to be deleted, I didn't expect anyone to work free but it's appalling!

    Comments on this post

    • KernelPanic : I'm sorry we couldn't be more help
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Dec 9th, 2013 at 10:49 AM.
  26. #14
  27. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    UK - Kent - Maidstone - PC!
    Posts
    3,752
    Rep Power
    1488
    Originally Posted by mark1984
    What is promotional campaign? definition and meaning

    intriguing answers. They seem to contradict everything you've said. I've come here expecting a bit of advice on the internal and external work and instead, with exception of your last post you've advised none of those things, in fact saying the opposite.
    Don't worry about wasting more time replying, I've requested this thread to be deleted, I didn't expect anyone to work free but it's appalling!
    Sorry but we don't just delete threads because someone disagrees with the answers they are given.

    We have no reason to delete the thread and will not do so - please see our rules for more details on how the forums are run!

    You may also want to check our rules on duplicate accounts... which one would you like to keep using?
    Last edited by NathanielB; Dec 9th, 2013 at 10:33 AM.
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

    "stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  28. #15
  29. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,986
    Rep Power
    5749
    Originally Posted by map1984
    The site, nerdtshirtsuk.com was doing ok
    Mark.
    Sorry we couldn't be more help Mark
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: Mar 31st, 2011, 05:29 AM
  2. My site doesn't display in google SERPS Since October last
    By shabeerv in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Nov 8th, 2007, 06:38 PM
  3. Google Oct Update: Your Site Up or Down
    By divchop in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: Oct 14th, 2005, 10:56 AM
  4. orders drop off on 4/7 & 4/8 coincidence or google update?
    By cgchris99 in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Apr 9th, 2004, 06:56 AM
  5. HELP! Google won't update my site
    By InternetNapoleon in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Mar 17th, 2003, 01:10 AM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo