1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Transferring old domain to new site without SEO loss

Hi,

The company I work for has a website, let's say www.currenturl.com. I have designed a new website hosted by Wix, let's say www.wixtemporaryurl.com. This new website is ready to go live, so I want to move the domain www.currenturl.com to replace www.wixtemporaryurl.com, effectively keeping the same domain but transferring it to a new site.

However, though the new website is much more optimised, I fear it may lose its ranking to begin with, mainly due to its youth. How do I make sure the new website appears in the same place on Google as it currently does? Organically.

I keep reading about 301 redirects but this won't apply as once www.currenturl.com has moved over, our customers will be on the new site anyway.

I hope this makes sense and I hope someone can help.

Kind regards,

Phoebe
  3. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Let me resume what I understood:

1. You have a website hosted on a server and responding to a URL -> currenturl.com
    2. You have developed a new website using Wix accessible on a URL wix.com/something
    3. You want to modify your currenturl.com DNS to point to wix server

fear it may lose its ranking to begin with, mainly due to its youth
    Your domain keeps the same age, even if the website is new. the change in server IP address won't impact your rankings at all

How do I make sure the new website appears in the same place on Google as it currently does? Organically
    If your Urls remain the same, the content on your pages is very similar and the on page SEO is equivalent things shouldn't move

I keep reading about 301 redirects but this won't apply
    Use 301 if your urls change. if your old contact page was /contacts and the new one is /contact-us then you should 301 redirect the old URL to the new one.
    If some pages were eliminated in the process you should 301 redirect these old URLs to the closest page (in terms of content) on the new site to maintain your trafic.

a new website hosted by Wix
    I'm part of the people that think that wix ain't the best solution at all if you want to be serious with your website. Not hosting your CMS on your own server might really limit your possibilities in time, but this doesn't mean that it won't work.
    To prove SEOs (that say Wix sucks for ranking) wrong Wix actually launched an SEO contest called "SEO Hero", this alone won't make me change my mind but who knows i'll see the results.

Hope this helped. If you have any questions feel free to add them below.
    Last edited by Pierre Benneton; Feb 9th, 2017 at 04:18 PM.
    Owner of Bennetonable | AdWords certified - Analytics qualified
    On-Page SEO Cheat Sheet | "My opinions are my own. Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I second Pierre's conclusion about not using Wix. But for different reasons..

They have way to many limitations for my liking!

1. Wix used to not provide Https, but have now announced they have added https
    2. Proprietary hosting and editing. You cannot transfer a Wix site to other hosting providers.
    3. One page website design. Each page of a Wix site is nothing more than a section of the one page.
    So you will have issues with 301 redirects, ie existing backlinks on the net for example.

4. You will have to purchase a premium plan for https
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Further information

Based on your responses (thank you for those by the way), I realise that I need to add some further clarification.

The new site (Wix, chosen for its ease of design and limitations not likely to cause limitations to us in the near future, plus we'll be paying for the full service) is not an exact replica of the old site. As part of an exercise to update the brand, the tone of voice has changed so the keywords may not be exactly the same, though the copy is still likely to be more optimised for SEO.

I suppose what I'm asking is will the domain itself 'save' the new website from the 'inevitable drop' in SEO ranking which other forums have explained will happen when launching any new site? If not, how can I test the ranking of the new site before moving the domain across?

Thank you in advance for your help and my apologies for the original lack of clarity.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by Phoebe_RK
    I suppose what I'm asking is will the domain itself 'save' the new website from the 'inevitable drop' in SEO ranking which other forums have explained will happen when launching any new site? If not, how can I test the ranking of the new site before moving the domain across?
    No matter what solution you use when transferring a domain from one host to another, you are going to see the slump. In the case of a Wix site, the slump may last a little longer.
    Longer, because it involves a complete re-design of the site because its on Wix servers.

Your content is going to change, so in your case, you have a site re-design and content change. Two things you hear a lot of use recommend you do not do. Makes it hard to solve problems with ranking. Is it your content or bad design? You will have to be a lot more vigilant in your case.

For those reasons we caution you to proceed slowly and carefully paying attention to every detail.

As for testing the ranking..
    Because of the hosting solution you have chosen, I don't believe you will be able to. But you can always come here and ask questions and get answers....

We are a helpful bunch of folks... (LOL sometimes we get the answers right ! some times we get it completely wrong!)