1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Transferring to a new domain & its impact on Google rankings

About 11 years ago my company built its online presence - and its domain name - based on the specific industry sector we were in (let's say it's sanitationproductsonline.com). Nowadays we've branched out into more general areas and usually refer to ourselves by more generic-sounding initials. I was wondering whether it's feasible to use a new domain (eg spo.com) and do a 301 redirect of all pages on sanitationproductsonline.com to spo.com.

I've been told that, these days, a 301 redirect transfers all of its link juice to the new page, and that I can also notify Google of a change of domain via the webmaster tools. So would it have any negative effect on our Google rankings? We've build up some very good positions for some keywords.

It's worth noting that the keywords in the domain aren't even very representative these days, so I'm not bothered about losing out on searches for 'sanitation products'.
  3. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

The ideal scenario is that you won't lose anything if you do targeted 301 redirect (i.e. you won't redirect all the pages to the new home page but instead redirect URL-to-URL)

In reality, too often those site moves are messed-up somewhere underway, so the outcome is hard to predict, so just be careful

You sound like this change totally makes sense!
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  5. Seo Control Panel
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Just use 301 redirect using .htaccess file. Before that take sitemap of your old website and after redirection, verify all old pages are working properly.

Please check example redirect code below

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule ^help\/*$ http://help.example.com/hp [R=301,L]
    That will transfer all seo benefits to new redirected url, it is the best way to do it.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Ann Smarty
    The ideal scenario is that you won't lose anything if you do targeted 301 redirect (i.e. you won't redirect all the pages to the new home page but instead redirect URL-to-URL)

In reality, too often those site moves are messed-up somewhere underway, so the outcome is hard to predict, so just be careful
    Originally Posted by seopanel
    Just use 301 redirect using .htaccess file. Before that take sitemap of your old website and after redirection, verify all old pages are working properly.
    That will transfer all seo benefits to new redirected url, it is the best way to do it.
    So sure, sitemap, tell webmaster tools, do a 301, try not to muck up anything technically, hope for the best.

This may be the best way to do it, but has anyone here any experience as to how likely or not it is to affect your rankings?