1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Traffic from Bing/Yahoo - No Google

Hello,

I own a site (k i l t s dot com) and I was looking for advice as to why I am not ranking at all for the "kilts" keyword on Google.
    I am on Page 1 on Yahoo, and nearly all the traffic for the site comes from Bing/Yahoo, but very little on Google. I have Webmaster Tools, and there is no sign of a penalty.

I have an affiliate relationship with another kilt company whereby I sell their products on my site in return for commission. I use their images (with their permission of course with our watermark) and product names are very similar (some the same). I am thinking that Google may not want to rank my website because my affiliate partner already ranks highly on Google. Does this happen? Would this explain why I can't rank the site on Google?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by ryan-lyall; Sep 5th, 2017 at 08:38 AM.
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Back in march of this year google brought out an update that targeted affiliate only sites (nicknamed fred), the way around that update is to provide something extra than just a list of affiliate links. I would imagine increasing your content with posts may be of benefit.
    You may also want to look at your site speed, its really slow for me.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Chedders
    Back in march of this year google brought out an update that targeted affiliate only sites (nicknamed fred), the way around that update is to provide something extra than just a list of affiliate links. I would imagine increasing your content with posts may be of benefit.
    You may also want to look at your site speed, its really slow for me.
    Thanks for letting me know. The store doesn't have any affiliate links. All products go through the checkout of my website. Does this make a difference?

I will look at the site speed issue you raised. Really appreciate the feedback!
  7. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Yes it does make a difference, When you said you had a affiliate relationship I assumed it was using affiliate links, I should have checked .
    Seeing as your using your own shopping basket that is the correct way of doing things.

What concerns me though is I just ran screaming frog on your site and it loaded the home page OK but after that every page either returned a 503 or a 500 error. It does appear to not handle traffic well, If I am getting that then I would assume google bot is seeing the same thing

Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  9. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Good catch Cheddars, he can also check Webmaster Tools for errors
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Hi ryan Lyall

After seeing Chedders post, I ran an analysis with his results in mind.
    Chedders got a tremendous amount of 500 class errors, I ran my analysis at a different time, I got a slew of 400 Bad request errors, 6682 actually. I do believe your implentation of Stat Counter is somewhat part of the issue and well as your hosting. I could very well be wrong.

Go to your home page and hit the "F12" key to bring up the Developer Window in Google Chrome. You will see in the first picture you have some serious errors to fix........
    The first one, ie the Yellow warning leads to the second picture....(just click the chromestatus.com link in it) This warning seems to me to imply your hosting is mostly at fault here, not saying you are on a 2G connection, but I am implying a slow connection which is not unheard of even in today's world.

Your hosting is provided by Comcast as it seems to appear. I looked your IP up and found way more than 100 websites using that IP. Are you using the free hosting provided to, (Comcast), customers who have internet service with them? If you are then I would say that is what your problem is. You have some serious issues, and I do believe they revolve around mostly your hosting.

There are lots of alternatives to using Comcast.....( if you are on the free plan )
    Godaddy, Hostgator, BlueHost, etc etc just do a search on the net. Some of these providers provide 3 year plans with dedicated IP and full CPanel with ssl for under 180.00 USD. You just have to do the research for what is best for you.

The other issues are as you can see you have broken jQuery running.

Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Sep 5th, 2017 at 02:26 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    Hi ryan Lyall

After seeing Chedders post, I ran an analysis with his results in mind.
    Chedders got a tremendous amount of 500 class errors, I ran my analysis at a different time, I got a slew of 400 Bad request errors, 6682 actually. I do believe your implentation of Stat Counter is somewhat part of the issue and well as your hosting. I could very well be wrong.

Go to your home page and hit the "F12" key to bring up the Developer Window in Google Chrome. You will see in the first picture you have some serious errors to fix........
    The first one, ie the Yellow warning leads to the second picture....(just click the chromestatus.com link in it) This warning seems to me to imply your hosting is mostly at fault here, not saying you are on a 2G connection, but I am implying a slow connection which is not unheard of even in today's world.

Your hosting is provided by Comcast as it seems to appear. I looked your IP up and found way more than 100 websites using that IP. Are you using the free hosting provided to, (Comcast), customers who have internet service with them? If you are then I would say that is what your problem is. You have some serious issues, and I do believe they revolve around mostly your hosting.

There are lots of alternatives to using Comcast.....( if you are on the free plan )
    Godaddy, Hostgator, BlueHost, etc etc just do a search on the net. Some of these providers provide 3 year plans with dedicated IP and full CPanel with ssl for under 180.00 USD. You just have to do the research for what is best for you.

The other issues are as you can see you have broken jQuery running.

I use a paid GoDaddy hosting solution and I pay for the Level 3 add on.

I've messaged Godaddy and they have said I would benefit from the Premium Business Hosting, which is $40/month.

https://www.godaddy.com/hosting/business-hosting

I'm not sure how much this would help? I guess the support staff will try and upsell me at every opportunity.

With regards to the jquery, is there an easy way to fix this?

This advice is so helpful, so thanks everyone for their time
  15. No Profile Picture

Does anyone have a good hosting recommendation that would be suitable for my needs that is cost effective? Should I get VPS hosting for example?

The two sites that are on my account use about 60GB of storage combined.

Thanks for the tips!
  17. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I just create a store on a Vultr VPS server and I'm very pleased with it OVH VPSs are also good it's the one I use for my sites.

The only problem is that you will need to configure the server from ground up, the advantage is that you can have a very powerfull server . - NGINX + GZIP + HTTP2 + CACHE (any you want heard VARNISH is great but was never able to configure it to work properly )
  19. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your opinion.

I'd prefer having a hosting solution that doesn't require any configuration. My knowledge of hosting and servers is not existent unfortunately!
  21. No Profile Picture

Any other tips for a suitable website host for a WooCommerce website such as this?
  23. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Unfortunately I have no experience with pre configured hosts except for very basic websites, but here is a list of web host I would personally trust (because I have already work with them), OVH, Siteground, Vultr, WP engine.

But I have one thing on my mind :How do you manage to use 60GB of storage with only two sites? This seems a lot to me.
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta