1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Total newbie question - dynamic content

If, say i have a inventory of 200 products and I'm putting resources into promoting a handful of keywords which don't include those specific products, e.g. i'm going after 'waterproof handbags' and not 'gucci waterproof handbag in yellow sku : xyz' , should i hide all the 200 products from the search engine crawlers, and just include only those categories I'm promoting to try to get a minimal number of index entries in google/bing to max out the value of my spend on the small number of keywords?
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Generally speaking it is not a good idea to hide content. I can see what your thinking here but you are forgetting google also rank by relevance to the query, so in your example say all 200 products are handbags of different types then that part of the query you will have covered as the whole site or a good section is about handbags, now add in the finer detail of waterproof into your query and you should stand a better chance of ranking.

The other thing is google will be looking for depth of content, so if you only have showing 2 or 3 it would make the site appear a lot smaller than it really is. So under normal circumstances I say its not a good idea.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
    IMHO