1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

The thing about Content above fold

We hear this a lot that its really good to put a fair amount of content above the fold for seo (and off course user experience) purposes. Just wanted to understand if this particularly pertains to "text" content.

I have many of my posts starting with poster size infographics that I have created or Youtube video embeds. I have seen that this has an effect in reducing bounce rate.

In my view, my images or videos are also my content and of the more engaging type. But will google disagree and consider only text content?
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Google can only index and understand text so although videos and images are great for users they are not very helpful in helping you rank.
    A balance is always required. You can tag your images up to help with targeting keywords but there is nothing like text for google to fully understand the content and context.
    IMHO
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Chedders
    Google can only index and understand text so although videos and images are great for users they are not very helpful in helping you rank.
    A balance is always required. You can tag your images up to help with targeting keywords but there is nothing like text for google to fully understand the content and context.
    thanks! So you suggest, its a much better idea to have some text content above the fold before embedding media from an SEO perspective?