1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Sudden large drop in google traffic

Hi,
    My site is www.BuildAGreenRV. Its a Wordpress site started in 2015.
    Traffic has been growing steadily as have google referrals.
    About 1100 visitors per day, 11,000 hits, and about 50 google referrals per day.

A bit over a week ago, referrals from Google dropped from an average of
    about 50 per day down to less than 10 per day. They have stayed at this level
    since then.

I've checked into the Google Search Console (which I did not know about), and worked through the
    small number of suggestions they had and went through their verification procedure. They really don't
    seem to have any problems with the site.

I keep up with all the Wordpress updates and plugin updates.

I'd appreciate any advice on other things to check on that might account for the drop.

Or, is this just life with Google?

Thanks,

Gary
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I noticed you have allowed ad-sense and adverts on your website, how long ago was this put on? Just a thought as you have it on all pages on your website but may not be the problem! Have you lost a lot of organic traffic (Search engine results) if so then you more than likely have been penalized by Google for a guideline violation maybe?

I would advise maybe taking a look at the following article and just make sure your website corresponds with the procedures... https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/34444
    Last edited by JohnEvans; Aug 3rd, 2017 at 07:02 AM.
  5. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I had a very quick look at the site. I cant help noticing you link out to a lot of resource but all the links I saw are follow links.
    Now although that used to be fine google are really looking for you to add nofollow to the majority of these links, Failing to do this you may be looking like a link farm. I also noticed you have a lot of links that are being redirected. These need sorting out so they go to the final URL and not trust browsers and google bot to follow the chain, google does not keep getting redirected, it will give up after a few.

I am not saying if you fix the above will solve your problems but it did raise my eyebrows as an issue.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare | Backlinking 101: Backlinking 101
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks John,

The ads have been in a long time -- probably since 2015.
    I tried to make the ads unobtrusive -- the standard is one in the right most column below some actual content, and then one on the very bottom of the page -- I'm guessing 90% of viewers don't get down that far.
    I've glanced over the Google advice on ad placement, and this arrangement seems to be well within the rules?

I looked over the article at the link you sent point by point and don't see any problems.
    I did just add a site map and they found it and got the right number of pages.

I have lost a lot of search engine (Google) traffic -- fortunately most of my traffic does not come from search engines -- I think most of it is
    from links on forums I participate in. A couple weeks ago, traffic from Google was about 50 visitors a day -- yesterday it was 5.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks -- Gary
  9. SEO Since 97

Add statcounter and see where your traffic is coming from.
  11. No Profile Picture

Hi Chedders,

Had to look up what a no-follow link was

Obviously my site addresses a small niche -- encouraging people to build fuel efficient RVs.
    The pages I link to on some of the reference pages are mostly links to small sites or articles where people have detailed how the did their
    RV conversions -- they are sort jems of great content in a sea of junk. I kind of like the idea of giving them however small a boost with the link to them -- they are small sites with good information that (to me) deserve to be found.

Do you still think I should go through and make these kinds of links no-follow?

There are 80 pages on the site and about 10 of them are lists of links to other sites/resources. Even the link pages are sort of value added in that they each have
    clear description of what useful details are provided at the site linked to.
    Most of the pages that are not lists of links are very long with lots of original and (I hope) very build it content.

Not trying to be resistant to your suggestion, but I guess it would hurt a bit

I do have quite a few comments from others on the site that include links, but my understanding is that Wordpress automatically makes links left by
    commenters no-follow. I'll check on that.

One thing that the Google Search Console turns up in the crawl section is that there are several hundred 404 links that the crawler were not able to follow. None of these are in the site content -- I fix bad links right away. They are apparently generated by Wordpress as a part of their Comment System.
    The Google Console says that a lot of 404's does not normally negatively effect the site, and not to worry -- does that match your experience?

A final question: Do sites often experience this kind of drop in Google traffic without any readily apparent reason? And, do the sites normally bounce back when Google next adjusts its methods?

I'm fine with spending some time and effort to track this issue down, but not so much if its just falls into the Google does what Google does and nobody understands how or why.

Thanks -- Gary
  13. SEO Since 97

Do you still think I should go through and make these kinds of links no-follow?
    I would, there's no reason to pass your link juice to them.