Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Unhappy Sudden drop in rankings

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and relatively new to SEO so I apologise for the vague question as I'm sure it's a difficult one to answer.

My website activelistener.co.uk was launched a few months a go and I have been diligently working on SEO each day since it launched and monitoring it's position on google for about 12 keywords.

Sure enough each day I have been slowly creeping up the rankings until I was on page one for about 5 of my phrases. Great!

Yesterday I suddenly dropped by about 40 places on each of my phrases! I don't understand what might have suddenly changed.

Has anyone got any ideas of how I can work out what's happened?

Thanks everyone.

Ben
    Last edited by dzine; Jul 2nd, 2016 at 06:37 AM. Reason: URL defused, then approved
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

What did you do when you were working on your seo every day?
  5. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Without knowing exactly what you did in terms of SEO, it would be hard to assume what could have gone wrong.

I would especially like to know how you were building links all this while

Any message from Google in the Search Console?

It could also be just a Google flux and your ranks would restore within a few days.

SEO FAQs - You might find your answer here.
    SEOchat Forum Rules - Read Before You Post
  7. No Profile Picture

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    What did you do when you were working on your seo every day?
    Only link building and blogging recently, no major changes. I had tweaked a few small things on a couple of pages and written a new blog post and really that was it.

I have about 12 phrases I check on Google each day and then add up all the positions. When I started, this was 700 and I've gradually worked it up to 240. Today it is 821.

I've checked search console for any messages or any content errors. Nothing.

I am confused!
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi pro_seo,

I think we posted at the same time

I have only just started link building and I am contacting other counsellors who are prepared to share links. I only have two who have agreed and they were added in this last week.

No messages in console, and only a little content change and a blog post.

Confused!
  11. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Could just be a flux - wait and watch a few more days and see what happens

Keep us posted

SEO FAQs - You might find your answer here.
    SEOchat Forum Rules - Read Before You Post
  13. No Profile Picture

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your advice.

If it is a flux, how long do they normally last?

This is the 4th day so far.

Thanks

Ben
  15. SEO Since 97

I'd wait a week or two, maybe even three. So I know for sure
    Last edited by Test-ok; Jul 5th, 2016 at 02:01 AM.
  17. No Profile Picture

Hi Again,

I'm so sorry to go on about this.

I'm now on day 12 of this flux which is really annoying

Assuming it is a flux, and assuming it ends at some point, do you know if it ends suddenly or gradually?

My site doesn't even get listed for some searches now

Thanks

Ben
  19. SEO Since 97

It would take quite a bit of digging into your analytics to fine a reason. I'd suggest to try the Guild, it's very reasonable and well worth it... see link in my signature.
  21. No Profile Picture

Thanks! Sadly all of these products seem to assume you are either a larger business or someone who manages SEO across many sites. $69 is too much for a tiny little operation like ours.

I'll continue to look for help on forums until someone does a $10 p/m product for one small traffic sites

So do you know if a flux ends suddenly or gradually?

Thanks

Ben
  23. SEO Since 97

Originally Posted by benwrigley
    Thanks! Sadly all of these products seem to assume you are either a larger business or someone who manages SEO across many sites. $69 is too much for a tiny little operation like ours.

I'll continue to look for help on forums until someone does a $10 p/m product for one small traffic sites

So do you know if a flux ends suddenly or gradually?

Thanks

Ben
    Sorry Ben to be so honest, but your not too interested in moving forward with your site.
  25. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    Sorry Ben to be so honest, but your not too interested in moving forward with your site.
    It's a small site, $69 per month just may not be viable for a lot of companies.

Ben, the guild may not be for you, whilst it's good for some it still requires a lot of time to learn what to do.

Run your site through: https://wordpress.org/plugins/ewww-image-optimizer/ it'll help reduce the size of some of your images.

Use the free version of: https://www.screamingfrog.co.uk/seo-spider/ to sort out some of your redirects, you've not got many at all.

Your site seems to be running slowly (believe it may be your hosting) try putting it through the free version of this: https://www.cloudflare.com/ (just setup and leave the default settings, you'll be fine with those)

Have a look through your site as a user: What is counselling? Active Listening approach.

You have the blog snippets on there twice.

Under your posts, I find myself thinking "alright, now what?" so perhaps look at adding the below to the end of every post:

I have about 12 phrases I check on Google each day and then add up all the positions. When I started, this was 700 and I've gradually worked it up to 240. Today it is 821.
    What do you mean by this? Are you not using Google Analytics or Google Search Console?
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  27. No Profile Picture

Hi, you mean I'm not too interested because I can't afford it you mean? I'm not sure I understand. I'm a startup with a lot of overheads already and there should be enough free information and forums online (like this one) to be able to do this myself I think.
  29. No Profile Picture

Hi Thomas, thanks for your input this is really helpful.

Yes I am using both search console and analytics, but it's still a very new site and not a lot of traffic yet.

What I meant with those figures is that I run a bunch of searches each day on Google and keep track of where my position is in the rankings e.g. 'Counselling Tunbridge Wells' which I was number 6. I add six to the spreadsheet, repeat for the other 11 queries and add up a daily total. It's what any SEO tool would do if I had the budget ;)

So this total started at around 600 (avg position 50), and through the SEO work I did using various free tools I got this to 240 (avg position 20), not great but going in the right direction. Then on Jul 1st, Bam, total of 850 overnight and I've been there ever since, some queries don't even list me at all. I changed nothing of any significance in the days leading up to this.

Thanks for your tips above and yes, I agree that the funnel can be fine tuned on the site, but I need traffic first! What traffic I do get has a bounce rate of 20% which I'm really happy with

I have just moved to a VPS to try to help the speed. avg page load is 0.5s which is pretty good I think no?

I'll definitely look for the blog snippets twice, thank you. It might be an error on my part as there are mobile and desktop versions of the pages, perhaps some have leaked over

Thank you again, I *really* appreciate your help with this as I'm completely baffled about what happened!

Ben
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: