1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Structured data review value not accurate

Having recently implemented JSON structured data on our product pages, the star rating graphic is now showing for some of our pages in the google index. However, the value it shows isn't always correct and I can't understand why.

For example, a product with 7 reviews and an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 shows up in google with just 3 stars out of 5 highlighted.

The JSON code is as follows:

Code:
        "aggregateRating": {
            "@type": "AggregateRating",
            "ratingValue": "4.6",
            "reviewCount": "7",
            "worstRating": "4",
            "bestRating": "5"
        }
    Happening on quite a few of our products. Any idea why?
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Your json code is part of the reason.... try it like this.....

edited to add.....
    Get your review count from Google, do no lie about this number..... and remember do not put it on your home page.
    the "rating value" is how many stars in the rating system.. ie 1 to 5, not 1 to 4.6 that is part of your problem.

Code:
    <script type="application/ld+json">
    { "@context": "http://schema.org",
      "@type": "Product",
      "name": "what ever your product is",
      "aggregateRating":
        {"@type": "AggregateRating",
         "ratingValue": "5",
         "reviewCount": "6"
        }
    }
    </script>
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Oct 12th, 2017 at 07:12 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture

I'm not sure how your JSON code differs from mine, apart from the script tags and other attributes which I do have in my JSON code I just omitted here for the sake of brevity.

And I'm not sure what you mean by getting the review count from google. The value I'm putting in the JSON code is derived from reviews left by users directly on the product page on our website. And I'm certainly not lying about the number!

Are you sure the average cannot be expressed as a decimal, e.g. 4.6? I can't find any reference to this fact.
  7. No Profile Picture

Try the code the way I have shown and I think in about 2 weeks that you will see the effect show up in the serps.

I personally only use Google reviews, why ? Because Google can actually verify them internally. Google will pick up other reviews from Social media on it's own and incorporate them when the query applies to showing a review. How exactly Google makes that decision is a KFC Recipe. You know 11 secret herbs and spices....

edited to add....
    What is your Google review count. (I ask only because you haven't posted the site url) Then I could actually look your Google review count up.. It would be more info to help answer your question.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Oct 14th, 2017 at 12:33 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture

Other than the addition of worstRating and bestRating attributes my code is already exactly the same as yours.

I can't answer the question about the google review count. You know I'm referring to reviews on individual products directly on our website rather than reviews of our company? We have about 2000 products that can be reviewed so there is no one review count.
  11. No Profile Picture

Since you are posting reviews left on your site, That is a little different, but not much. Yes you will have to post the average, because Google can't verify them. That's the down side ..... Personally I would figure a way to get folks to leave the reviews on Google. I find that is much more effective, why, because if they interogate the reviews they will find out they are posted on Google. Reviews are starting to become a serp mover for many reasons. The least of which is how pretty the stars look in the serps.

I personally don't put much stock in reviews left on the site. That is too easily manipulated. This is not directed at you in any way. So do not take it that I am saying you are manipulating the results.

One of the services I offer my clients is garnering reviews. Since I specialize in local search, Each month I give my clients a day where I or I train someone from the clients company to call each customer for that month and ask them the following...

The PITCH !

Hi this is a follow up on the service provided by "Local Business Name", I would like you to do me a favor and everyone else needing the same service we provided for you. If you don't mind go to Google and leave a review. You can find the link on our website in the bottom right corner, or however you want to get them there...( I find a link on the site in the footer works quite well for this.)

If you liked the service and are happy, then let folks know that.. If you're not happy with the service, then let folks know that too !.. Good or Bad ... let folks know how you feel.

Thanks for having chosen us to provide the work. Have a great day !

'end of pitch"

If the company has done a bang up job, that pitch works quite well, or quite bad if they didn't do such a bang up job.

Remember this ... only ask once! Do not push, prod, or coerce them in any other way.! You never know what they will leave on the net otherwise.

If I remember correctly, there is a previous thread where we discussed ways to get reviews.... I think one of those ways was a postcard type of thing, asking the purchaser to leave a review. It was included in the shipping container the product was shipped in.

In your case, if the number of folks is too great to call, and if your site keeps accounts for repeat customers , then those are the ones I would target, the repeats, and ask them to leave a review on Google. Be sure and leave them a way to say "No" to leaving review. I know some folks that have even said " Leave a review and get 20% off on your next order." It works, what can I say.

Getting folks to leave reviews on Google and Facebook works wonders for your CTR.