1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Specific page not ranking

Hi guys!

I have an e commerce, which i recently moved from one platfrom to another. We did 301 redirects and our new site is 1000 x better than the last from a SEO point of view. And by that i mean that our old one was really bad

Our pages are indexed by Google and we rank 16-60 on a few words, but what’s confusing, and this is why i write this, is that we are non-existent on our ”primary” word. We sell sunglasses and when we were on the other platform we were ranked on page 7-8 on the Swedish word for sunglasses ”solglasögon”. Now it is like we don’t exist on that word.

We have a sunglasses category page containing the word ”solglasögon” in Titel, H1 and text. And it doesn't seem to be any problems with the site in whole. I don’t expect us to rank on the first page, but i can’t understand why we are not ranking at all? Not even on page 20.

I have plans to aim for the top spots on this keyword, it may take a few years, but how could i do that i Google don’t even want to rank the page?

If someone has a clue to why this is and maybe how i could fix it, i would be very greatful.

Thank you!
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

If this change was fairly recent then it could be just a waiting game. By recent I mean a few weeks. However if it was in 2016 when the change happened then I would look at your site structure and internal links. You can for example use keyword rich anchor text within your own site which points to the target page, this will help drive meaning to this page so it stands a better chance for ranking for that keyword.
    Also make sure images your using also contain the keyword and make sure your making full use of the alt text.

Just as a precaution, have you ran your site with screaming frog, this will make sure all the pages you expect are crawlable, its only too easy to leave in a noindex or nofollow when setting up a new site.
    I would also check a few of your old backlinks and make sure the 301 is working as expected and your not chaining them. They should goto the final landing page and not goto a page which then redirects to a new page etc.

All in all its more about checking the new work is as expected first because if the page was ranking before then there is no reason to expect it not to rank with the new version unless there is an error somewhere.
    I personally would suspect its the internal linking structure but of course you will know the new site compared to the old site better than anyone.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your reply, Chedders!

The actual move occurred around 8-9th of February.

I have quite a few links pointing to the category page, for example on our "about" page, "shipping and returns" page etc. The structure of the site is good (i think), but it's also a very small site (just 5 products). And everything seems OK when running the site on Screaming Frog.

But a few weeks you say? Is it just waiting i can do at this stage? (Except link building and optimizing even more of course.)
  7. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

There is always more to be done, it sometimes feels like a never ending job.
    When I make changes I tend to wait 6 full weeks to measure the impact on a site, so your about the end of that cycle now. Try using my page explorer in the footer and see if that throws up any horrors.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  9. No Profile Picture

PG couldn't crawl it as it seems. No result. But i know a few tools that have problems with the platform we're on.

But i don't think there is any problem with the site. One of our products rank 16 according to SEMrush on a quite good keyword. And i can find the category page if i search for it "(company name) solglasögon". But i don't get why we're not even on page 31, which is the last.. it's weird :/
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

When you changed the site, did you change the url structure and content at the same time. That makes the problems a little harder to track down.

I would go back over the 301's and make sure the ones for the sun glasses page was included. You could also revert a couple of pages back to there oid content to see if their rankings returned. But wait a little while before doing that, like Chedders says, it can take a few weeks for Google to show your changes as good or bad.