1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Site speed and GTM

Hi there,

Is there any site speed benefit to integrating external resources (such as facebook pixel tracking, add-ons, etc) through google tag manager or does the resource need to load regardless and it won't speed up the site at all?

I'm trying to speed up my (slow) site as much as I can. It's a custom php website (not wordpress) and we have some addons, such as sumome, hotjar, session cam, facebook pixel tracking and more. We would shift it over to load through GTM if it will speed up the site.

We're trying to figure out how to best work with these external resources, which add a nice chunk to the load time. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Amanda
    Last edited by amandac; May 8th, 2017 at 07:18 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Hi Amanda

Seems you have a lot of scripts running before the page can even load. I am going to suggest you consider using CloudFlare. Using them, (CloudFlare) you will benefit in a few ways. First the site will load extremely quick, from my understanding. Also you will get free SSL, just another reason.

Personally I have never used CF, luckily we have a resident member here who uses it and I consider very knowledgeable on it, our resident guru so to speak, Chedders. Maybe he will see this thread and respond.

Edited to add...

Oh, and it is "FREE"
    https://www.cloudflare.com/cdn/
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; May 8th, 2017 at 07:44 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the reply. I don't think you understood my question, though. I was talking about external add-ons that are slowing down the site. I am under the impression that CloudFlare is for your own scripts on your own server. We already use MaxCDN for our own scripts.
  7. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Hi

Things like tag manager are great when its difficult to add sections to a site, but if its a custom site then personally I would add the scripts you require myself. You then get rid of the overhead of the script manager itself.

The reason cloudflare just works is because it can cache your entire site, graphics html etc. They own a huge CDN and can make a lot of the content local to the user across their network so it really is worth having a look. One of the other benefits is it protects you from a lot of attacks including the dreaded DDOS attack. I know you may think my site is too small to warrant such protection but I see daily attempts which have been blocked.

I just checked and within the last 24 hours there was 2 threats blocked, 1 from Japan and 1 from France, a lot of the time its more from Russia that I see threats but each day is different and a lot tend to use proxies.

The real benefit though (apart from a free SSL) is it free's up your server from requests, having less requests allows your server to run faster and so on. It recently we had a site featured on redit, As such the traffic went mental.

I grabbed a screen shot of the the number of concurrent users as it had been a while since I had seen numbers of this scale. Cloudflare kicked in and handled a lot of this extra traffic for us serving as much of the static content as was required, leaving the server with plenty of processing power to spare. The site in question was on some crappy hosting package and on its own would have fallen over if left on its own.

So speed is one advantage of using cloudflare but it comes with other benefits as well.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare | Backlinking 101: Backlinks in 2018
  9. No Profile Picture

Thank you for your reply. As I mentioned in a follow up post, we already use MaxCDN so all our images, etc. are cached. I am wondering how I can speed up my site, being that I use so many external scripts like session cam, hotjar, sumo me, etc. Are you saying that cloudflare will host the external resources as well and load them faster?
  11. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I'm the one who originally pestered Chedders to give Cloudflare a go, now he seems to love it!

The one thing that could work well for you is this: https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en...ket-Loader-do-

It's combines and defers all javascript (including external) so that the page actually appears to load quicker. If you're then using http/2 (which is enabled by default when using https on cloudflare) then you'll get some much quicker times.
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  13. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Yeap it was Tom who gave me a kick up the Ar$e to give it a go and now all sites I look after use cloudflare bar none.
    For me its a no brainer and its a must have tool in a sites architecture.

One other thing I left out, as you switch your name servers to them, should you need to change servers on the hurry its a simple case of changing the IP address and boom the transfer is done as no DNS changes need to take place. I have had to use this a couple of times which has saved me no ends of grief.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare | Backlinking 101: Backlinks in 2018