1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Site ranking #1 for keyword, but #2 for same keyword in diff location

Hi everyone,

Would appreciate any help if you can.

Our site is ranking #1 for a keyword in a small town outside London, but #2 for the same keyword in London.

I thought it could be perhaps a high search rate from the small town or a higher no. of new users, but the stats aren't showing to be particularly outstanding when I look at Google Analytics in the Geolocation section.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas? Perhaps our competitor is has targeted ads for London, or something along those lines.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you very much!

L
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Google use location of the user as part of the algorithm to target the results. The location depends on the users device and how much is given away so its possibly very accurate or not.
    Lets say your search term is shoe repair, it would make sense for google to show you results near to you, so if you are in london then london shoe repair shops would be shown. Now if you travel to say oxford you would be shown results near oxford. This is all part of personalised results that google released a few years ago.
    To complicate things further google often also use your past history to try and get you a better set of results, so if you have visited a website they may give that site a little boost in your SERPS but not everyone elses.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your reply Chedders,

This searches were done incognito, so past searches won't have been taken into account.

The thing is that the business is online only (no physical stores), although our registered office is central London. Yet for some reason we are ranking #1 for the keyword in many places across the UK, but not London.

Do you think it could be that the competitor taking the top spot in London has optimised for London? I can see on their site they actually have text saying 'London' on their page but so do we. I'll see if they have more on-page optimisation for London specifically.

Perhaps the competitor have had success with long-tail keywords in London?

I didn't think that PPC had much of an effect on organic rankings, but perhaps they've had quite big success from London-targeted PPC for that keyword?
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

A small town out side of London is quite different than London, your a smaller fish in the London pool.
  9. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Even with incognito google will still know roughly where you are, for example it would be a poor service if the results where from new york for you.
    If they have targeted London and your in London then it makes perfect sense they would show them above you.

Using Adwords has no impact on organic results by the way, that one is a myth that has been proven time and time again. The 2 are not connected.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  11. No Profile Picture

Well Said Chedders, Google will give Exact and Accurate Results in the Location