1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Single keyword vs long tail keyword, wordpress directory structure.

Hello,

I had a site SEO overhaul last spring, and one of the things that my SEO guy did was to move my wordpress installation to a folder named after my <keyword>. I'm planning to overhaul my site sometime in the near future and I was wondering if I should change it back to the default root folder. The reason for this is that I'm actually not ranking well for the single <keyword> at all (not in the top 100). Only with the <keyword> <city> search has there been improvement. With this combined search phrase I'm currently #10 in google. My competitors in general have horrible horrible SEO so I'm wondering if my less than stellar performance there is partly due to my poor ranking with the single <keyword>.

Admittedly, my SEO guy said that he can't guarantee anything regarding the single <keyword> and focused mostly on the combined <keyword> <city>, but I still think the single <keyword> should be wayy better..

Any help appreciated!

J
  3. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hello,

Hm. I feel like there are other things that could be done to improve the ranking of a keyword besides switching a folder back to the default root folder. What makes you think that the folder issue is the one causing your poor rankings?
  5. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I'm with Mark on this, I don't think you would have gained anything worthwhile by adding/renaming that folder in the first place, (and I don't think you'll gain much by removing it either).

You said "move my wordpress installation to a folder"...
    Do you mean he moved your "wp" folders (wp-admin / wp-content / wp-includes) into a folder, or did he move the whole site there? (Where is your main site index page? Is it in domain/ or domain/keyword/)?
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]