1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Should I have two XML sitemaps?

My website has 13 pages, the blog section on my website has 46 pages. The blog has an XML sitemap that is automatically generated at "website.com/blog/sitemap.xml". Should I have 2 sitemaps, one for the main site and one for the blog? Or should I just have one sitemap for the blog since the main site doesn't have many pages?

If I make 2 sitemaps, should I mention them both in website.com/robots.txt? Or mention one in website.com/robots.txt and the other in website.com/blog/robots.txt?

Really appreciate any help with this.
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

if you want 2 sitemaps then you have to create a sitemap index. Put the sitemaps in that and only upload your index to google. No need to use robots.txt and just upload it in search console.
    The reason for this normally is for sites with more than 50,000 pages as thats the limit for a sitemap.

However with such few pages the need for a sitemap is pretty much zero, many people think its a requirement in SEO but its not. Google are experts is finding pages and in normal sites no sitemap is needed or required.
    The only time that changes is if you have opthan pages which google cant find via links on your site or from external links. if these are just static pages then its down to poor structure. However I have used sitemaps to get indexed search results on massive sites which contain millions of products, then google could spend years trying to find all the products.
    IMHO