1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Should I Change my Domain for EMD?

So I have a retail business that offers a very nitch product, for this discussion let's call the product blue ceiling fans. When I started the company 8 years ago, I didn't want to pigeon hole myself into selling only blue fans, so I gave my company a more broad name, like Creative Interior Design Ideas. A few years ago, I purchased the abbreviation domain (for this example, CIDI.com.
    Here is my situation: I am probably the biggest blue fan seller in the country, and I only sell blue fans. My brand name, CIDI, is doing well in my circles, but I am nowher to be found on Google when you search for blue fans. I now have an opportunity to purchase bluefans.com for a bit of money.

My question is, should I switch my four letter domain to this EMD? There are only a few sellers of blue fans, and I know the volume I do will keep the domain active. I already have a great website that gets solid traffic.

Should I buy bluefans.com and redirect it to CIDI.com? Should I instead redirect CIDI.com to bluefans.com? I would like to keep my brand name. I just really need to be towards or at the top of google search results for blue fans.

Thank you all in advance for your input!!
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

If your the goto man for blue fans and everyone knows this within your niche but your not ranking in google then you must be doing something wrong with onsite SEO.
    Buying a domain name with you keywords in it wont help unless people guess the domain name. It used to be the case it would give you a massive boost but google took that away a while ago now. I am not saying its zero value now but nothing like it used to be.

You problem is more of a marketing issue if CIDI is not coming up for a blue fan search. (using your hypothetical example)
    In my eyes a 4 letter .com domain is far better than the longer bluefans.com domain.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  5. No Profile Picture

I agree that I have issues with my SEO on my site. I'm working on it now.

As for my nitch, I sell my blue fans at a few high traffic stand alone stores. That's why I move so much volume, much more than anyone else. However, every other company that sells blue fans does it exclusively online. That's why it is so perplexing that I don't show up more in searches, especially compared to these other companies. Overall, I probably sell literally 100x as many blue fans as the next biggest volume company (who is exclusively online). I do post regular blog posts, social media, etc for my site. And I do get a really good amount of traffic and sales.

As for customers that don't know any blue fan companies, really the only search term they can use to describe my product is "blue fans". That's why I REALLY think it would (should?) help having bluefans.com.

To give you another example of the competition, the 8th top google hit's website is called bluesfans.com. And it makes about as much sense as my hypothetical, like goldensrings.com or sledgeshammers.com
  7. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Sounds like your pretty convinced having a EMD is going to bring you riches. All I can say is that in 2017 there are more important things to spend your time on.
    Sorry if its not the answer you was looking for.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Doe's bluefans.com will rank faster for 'blue fans' then CDLI.com/blue-fans. Yes, if cdli.com is a new website.

But you have aged domain which many SEO's would've paid a lot of money to rank with. New website is not that fun to rank. It would take way more than a year for you to rank with new EMD. There is one exception to this. It's when EMD have already good relevant links coming to it.

(Tough love alert!) If you are really selling so many Blue Fans and you are not ranking anywhere, then Iit just leads me to one conclusion, your SEO must be very bad.