1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Sessions suddenly appearing in GA for old domain

My site completed a migration in mid-October and all went well, with only a few minor issues occurring that were resolved in days.

Then, on Feb. 14, around 6.5-7.5K sessions per day began appearing in the GA account for the old domain, split across all channels.

Google has taken a while de-indexing the site, resulting in the old domain still appearing in SERPs, but GA has always recognised the redirects and has recorded the sessions on the redirected domain.

A fetch and render on GSC for the old domain shows the 301 redirect working perfectly. Behaviour Flow for the traffic now being tracked in the old GA shows entirely pages on the new domain.

The only thing I can think of that could have caused the old Analytics to suddenly reactivate was a mistake in implementing the hreflang tag - this was done this week by our IT, who put the old domain in the tag instead of the new one. That was fixed yesterday, but I am still seeing sessions for today in the old domain's GA.

GSC is showing normal fluctuations for both domains. GA traffic for the new domain looks like fairly normal fluctuations, but I can't be sure that the old domain's GA isn't taking traffic from the new one...

Is anybody able to offer any advice here?

Cheers!
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

The data you are seeing is two days old.
    It took two days to start showing up... and since your web guy fixed the issue yesterday... then you still have two days of data that you have not seen prior to yesterday.. and will take another 24 hours for it to start show correctly again.

GA and GSC don't provide instantaneous data.. Why does everyone forget that GA and GSC are 48 hours behind in data posting...