1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

SERPs not indexing my title tag

I am having a problem with one of the websites Iím trying to rank for. This is a big issue because Google is ignoring the homepage title tag Iím using and just putting something else, which is not using all the ~70 characters I get at my disposition. Shortening my chances to optimize my title tag and rank faster/easier.

To explain the issue better let me give an example. Letís say that this is my current title tag (no quotes):
    ďMy Website Topic Ė My website nameĒ

At this moment itís only:
    ďMy Website TopicĒ

This is a big issue because as we know the title is one of the most important factors of Onsite Optimization.

Let me know what you guys think. Have any of you have had a similar experience.
  3. Moderator
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Without looking it is hard to say but when you have updated your title? If you have recently changed your title you have to give some time to Google for appearing.
  5. No Profile Picture

I have updated the title tag a long time ago (over a month ago). I have submitted an updated sitemap to Google (because additional pages have been added to the site) since then a couple of times now.

It's really weird the the first time that it happens to me.

If it helps in something, when I look the site @ majestic it shows an N/A as the site title; but the source code shows the title tag just fine. Also SEOQUAKE (firefox extension) also interprets the title correctly.
  7. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

In the scale 0-10 of importance this is a 3.

Hard to address the why without access to the domain...

But your mainpage is the least important page on your website to get ranked... you want to rank the most specific page to the searcher's query and the homepage (while its prominence in your domain as the top hierarchical page) tends to have the least amount of information about any one topic or if a blog with 10 or 20 posts has too much irrelevant (unrelated) information to each searchers' query.

It is clear that the homepage will get the greatest lion share of links forcing it to rank first but it isn't the best page to rank for everything and anything.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
    Last edited by fathom; Jul 10th, 2015 at 12:35 AM.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by fathom
    In the scale 0-10 of importance this is a 3.

Hard to address the why without access to the domain...

But your mainpage is the least important page on your website to get ranked... you want to rank the most specific page to the searcher's query and the homepage (while its prominence in your domain as the top hierarchical page) tends to have the least amount of information amount any one topic or if a blog with 10 or 20 posts has too much irrelevant (unrelated) information to each searchers' query.

It is clear that the homepage will get the greatest lion share of links forcing it to rank first but it isn't the best page to rank for everything and anything.
    First off let me say that I appreciate the willing to help, but I think you are losing the point of the post.

The point is not if the homepage is important to rank, or even if the title tag is an important factor (or the scale in importance); the issue that we are trying to identify as a group is why and what would cause google to not display the indicated title tag on their SERPs.

Showing the direct url of the page may be recommended but we will have to work around the problem with the facts mentioned previously:

- the title tag is displayed appropriately in the source code of the page.
    - majesticseo shows "N/A" when the page is search on their engine.
    - opposite to majesticseo, SEOquake does display the homepage title just fine.
    -Google has not updated the title tag even though it has certainly crawled the website multiple times during the previous month.

If you guys have any other tests or ideas let me know and I'll try it myself and report back.

Thanks for the help guys, let's keep the ideas flowing here.
  11. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by jamesbetfix
    First off let me say that I appreciate the willing to help, but I think you are losing the point of the post.
    Post you URL... there are at least 100 things that could be the problem and I rather not waste 5 hours writing them all down if your problem is but one.

The point is not if the homepage is important to rank, or even if the title tag is an important factor (or the scale in importance); the issue that we are trying to identify as a group is why and what would cause google to not display the indicated title tag on their SERPs.
    Totally understand PM me if you don't wish to post.

Showing the direct url of the page may be recommended but we will have to work around the problem with the facts mentioned previously:

- the title tag is displayed appropriately in the source code of the page.
    - majesticseo shows "N/A" when the page is search on their engine.
    - opposite to majesticseo, SEOquake does display the homepage title just fine.
    -Google has not updated the title tag even though it has certainly crawled the website multiple times during the previous month.

If you guys have any other tests or ideas let me know and I'll try it myself and report back.

Thanks for the help guys, let's keep the ideas flowing here.
    My crystal ball says you will figure it out eventually. I'm happy to help freely but making it difficult for me to help is a good reason why I can't.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
  13. No Profile Picture

Hi Friend,

Do you use WordPress ?
    Does your title tag more than 60 characters ?
    do you use special characters in your title ?

If yes then tell me your website URL and keyword.

Hope i can solve it immediately.
  15. Digital Marketing

You don't have a problem. Google will use whatever it wants in their snippets, they may use your title element or they may not. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3HX_8BAhB4

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
  17. No Profile Picture

issue has been fixed:

Cause:
    Title tag content was displaying the similar keyword too close to each other, making the title look too spammy.

Solution:

We have removed any duplication from the title tag and keep it under 56 chars.

Google is now displaying the desired title on SERPs.

Thanks for all your contributions.