1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Serach results title different from meta title description / title tag. Why?

I have a page at:
    crowdfundingdojo.com/articles/borrowing-a-50m-entrepreneurs-strategy-to-double-backers-with-zero-extra-visitors-5-step-guide

It's meta title description, and <title> tag are both the same (admittedly overly long) text:
    "Borrowing A $50M Entrepreneur's Strategy, to Double Backers With Zero Extra Visitors [5 Step Guide]"

Yet, in the search results, the title just comes up as:
    "5 Step Guide - CrowdfundingDojo.com"
    as you can see by searching:
    site:crowdfundingdojo.com/articles/borrowing-a-50m-entrepreneurs-strategy-to-double-backers-with-zero-extra-visitors-5-step-guide

Does any idea have any ideas why, or how to fix this? The current title, isn't exactly compelling!
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Page title and meta title are different things.
    use page <title>my page </title> within the head section of your site.
  5. No Profile Picture

"use page <title>my page </title> within the head section of your site."

That's why I'm confused. I *do* use the <title> tag, *as well* as the meta title one. Currently, the following code is found in the head section of that page:
    <title>A $50M Entrepreneurs Tip to 2X Backers With No Extra Visitors [5 Step Guide]</title>

Yet, the title in Google's search results is:
    5 Step Guide - CrowdfundingDojo.com
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Same issue has been recorded with one of my website. The title is

Portable Porta Cabins & Bunk Manufacturers India | Office Container Suppliers India

But still it shows the domain name or company name sometimes in the Title when searched for in the Search Engine. Yes, we know that Google search is evolving, but confuses the matter of working so hard on Meta-data of a website.
  9. Dinosaur

In which case google does not agree the Title matches the content and is replacing it with one it thinks is better.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Chedders
    In which case google does not agree the Title matches the content and is replacing it with one it thinks is better.
    Such auto rewrites by Google in SERPS does effect the Rankings in search engines?
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by shanukumar05
    Same issue has been recorded with one of my website. The title is

Portable Porta Cabins & Bunk Manufacturers India | Office Container Suppliers India

But still it shows the domain name or company name sometimes in the Title when searched for in the Search Engine. Yes, we know that Google search is evolving, but confuses the matter of working so hard on Meta-data of a website.

In your case Google might be using descriptions from the Open Directory Project or Yahoo Directory as the title and snippet for a web result. Please try these tags to resolve the issue:

<meta name="robots" content="noodp,noydir"/>

Hope it will work.
  15. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by shanukumar05
    Such auto rewrites by Google in SERPS does effect the Rankings in search engines?
    I don't believe so. But it could conceivably impact CTR if what Google chose is wildly different from what you've intended. And it may be indicative of deeper issues on the site - Google pulling a title from elsewhere sometimes means that they don't believe your meta tags match the actual on-site content, as Chedders said.

https://support.google.com/webmaster...er/35624?hl=en
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Chedders
    So what do you do too remedy it? My title very accurately reflects the content, so is it a case of writing a new title that uses keywords found often in the article, or is it a case of updating meta data on the sites other pages, as many of these are still generic and identical, as I haven't had time to fiddle with them yet.

Essentially, I have about four articles, this one included, which I care about being properly represented more than the others. If updating the others is what it would take to fix the issue with this one though, I'd do it...
  19. Dinosaur

I would doubt altering other pages would have an effect on that pages title

However I just did your search and saw the below

The 5 Step Guide to Doubling Backers With No Extra Visitors

crowdfundingdojo.com/.../borrowing-a-50m-entrepreneurs-strategy-to-d...

A $50 million entrepreneurs tip to doubling your backers with zero extra visitors to your campaign page in just 5 easy steps.

Is this not what you was after ?
    Have you tried doing this incognito
  21. Super Moderator

I'm assuming you changed your <title> and your <meta-desc> and that Google have updated their index since since your last post... Because (as Chedders said) it's not what they showed 2 hours later!

I just wanted to add (see Chedders remark in his first post) in addition to your <title> "element" you also have a: <meta name=title ("meta-title") in there... It's not helping your SEO at all (waste of time adding/maintaining them)!
    Last edited by ClickyB; Dec 4th, 2015 at 06:06 PM. Reason: cos i'm an idiot
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]