1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Lightbulb Self competition in SEO

My client is a law firm. They recently created a website focusing on one particular area of law and hired me for SEO. The law firm however has a core website that is well established and #1 in Google's local pack.

My initial thought was that I would need to alter or remove some keywords from the core law firm site while beefing up KW on the new site.

Here are my questions:
    1) Will cannibalizing the core website affect its overall authority score in search engines or just for the keywords I'll be removing (moving to the new site)?
    2) Should the client instead ditch the new site and roll its content into the core website? From a SEO standpoint, this makes sense to me.

Thoughts are much appreciated.
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Generally its always better to go with 1 powerful site than attempt to run 2.
    Having 1 site anything you add gains the benefit of the established domain helping create even more ranking power as a whole for the whole site.

If you start linking between the 2 to boost each other then your going down the PBN route
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Pbn

Hadn't thought of that angle - PBN. Good point. Client may not be happy about it but I think I'm going to have to recommend doing away with smaller site.

Thanks for your input.

Originally Posted by Chedders
    Generally its always better to go with 1 powerful site than attempt to run 2.
    Having 1 site anything you add gains the benefit of the established domain helping create even more ranking power as a whole for the whole site.

If you start linking between the 2 to boost each other then your going down the PBN route
  7. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

2 sites should not really be a problem as far as a PBN is concerned, its just I have seen it many times that the 2nd site does well riding off the power of the 1st so then the temptation is to add a 3rd then 4th and before you know it google have spotted it and bang they are all gone.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  9. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I'd agree, add the info to the main site with a good internal link to the new sub page. Which is the best route to go.