1. No Profile Picture
    jk9
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

SEO Ranking Frustration: Website not listing for Company NAME?!

Okay, so while I am new to this forum, I'm not completely new to SEO. I have never had this issue with a website before, and I am pretty sure it's an issue with the site's code or something more seriously, not just the SEO. I'm using Yoast and it says my SEO is fine.

Anywho, the problem has been from day one that the website isn't ranking for the company's name (which I can't list here). At first it wasn't even ranking at all. Right now it's getting really weird mixed results for their name:

Google search - >50
    Google Maps - 1
    Yahoo Search - 1
    Yahoo Local - >50
    Bing - 1

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Does this weird pattern give any insight into my issue. Obviously fixing the Google search ranking is my number one priority. I will say that I have gone through every fix that Google has suggested. I uploaded the sitemap to Webmasters and made sure there was no spammy, no-follow, or otherwise unfriendly things on the site. And a bunch of other crap I can't think of right now. Basically, it's been driving me nuts.

Please, help? Please?

Jackie
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

How can we possibly be of any help if we can't see the website? We're marketers, not fortune tellers
  5. No Profile Picture
    jk9

No need to get cheeky. I'm a forum virgin. Be gentle. Sure, I guess that makes sense. FYI I did not make the website. I'm a content/social girl.

zabloandsons.com
  7. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I'm almost certainly too green to really help with this one, but maybe I can point out a few things that will get the ball rolling. Thank you for providing the URL!

So I see what you're saying. Searching for the name turns up a lot of white and yellow page listings for me. There's also the Facebook page, a BBB listing, and some news stories.

I did a site: search in Google and it came up with 41 results. Does that sound about right for how many pages should be indexed?

Looks like you do have a Knowledge Panel. And in that panel, there's a link to the website. So, while it's not the main prize, that is something that people who search for the website can use to get to the homepage.

I did a search in a different proxy, actually, and it is on the 1st page of results for its name. It's just way down, near the bottom. Could it be an issue of personalized results or something? Maybe, somehow, Google doesn't quite understand where the business is located? The business address is listed right in the knowledge panel though, so I dunno...

Looking at the homepage, there's not a lot of text. It's a lovely design, but I wonder if Google is just having trouble figuring out what the site is about. Besides content, links are something Google uses to determine what search queries a website will rank well for. I'm wondering if the links and content just aren't enough right now to get the main site discovered for its name.

I'm over my head now, so I'll let someone else chime in next. Hopefully some of that helped!
  9. No Profile Picture
    jk9

Thank you for all of the advice! I really appreciate it.

Actually just today, it started listing for their name in Google search, even if it is on the bottom of the page. So something we did yesterday worked. If anyone ever has the same issue it was one or a combo of:

1. Google finally started listing the correct G+ page with the website URL attached.

or, more likely,

2. We fixed the .htaccess file which was having issues with... "canonicalization" . Something about splitting results... dunno my coworker did that one for me.

So yeah, it's solved! Hooray! Is there a way for me to flag it as such so people know I no longer need help?
  11. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Ahhh, I see! Well, cool! Glad to hear it all worked out in the end

I'll close the thread.