1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

SEO Effects Of Changing Domain

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and am looking for a little advice with regards to changing my site to a new domain name.

My site is currently on a quite an ugly URL, for this example we will use My-Website.com and I'm wanting to move the entire site to MySite.com. For long term branding this is of course a far more attractive domain but I'm worried about the SEO effects.

It's worth noting that the current site is old and badly designed. I would like to update the content and change the design but I'm unsure if I should do this at the same time as changing the domain name or leave it until a later point in time.

One of the problems is the current URL's look like:

My-Website.com/folder/61881-keyword-xyz/

I'd like to change these to:

MySite.com/category/keyword.html

I'm really just not sure if I should run right ahead and change everything at once (new domain, significantly updated articles, new page urls and a new design) or do this in stages over several months. Or if the SEO risks are to great and I should keep the site as it is with maybe just a fresh redesign.

I would really appricate any advice on how others would handle this transition.

Thanks
    Simon
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by Simon Newman
    I'm really just not sure if I should run right ahead and change everything at once (new domain, significantly updated articles, new page urls and a new design)
    Do not do this. If you make a mistake, where would you start to look ?

Do "1" thing at a time. That way if a mistake is made you can find and fix it easier.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate your response and will begin the change slowly, one at a time in the hopes of keeping (hopefully improving!) the ranks that I have.
  7. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Once you switch the domain name you need to keep the old one going so that you can 301 redirect for external links to pass though to the new site.
    Failing to do this it will be the same as starting again from scratch.
    In perfect world you would take old page A and redirect it to new page A, if there is no new page then the only option will be to send it to the home page.
    If there are no external links to a page then you can forget that one. Changing domains is quite a major thing to do, careful planning is required in order to keep your ranking.
    IMHO
  9. No Profile Picture

Interesting. In that case do you not think the risk of going from My-Website.com to MySite.com is worth the risk?
  11. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I am afraid only you can answer that one. Unless there are major reasons for doing so it is not something to do on a whim.
    A lot though will depend on how big your site is and what your hoping to gain from the change. You could be a corporate and re-branding the whole company but if its just because you fancy a change of name then I can only see downsides.
    IMHO
  13. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by Simon Newman
    Interesting. In that case do you not think the risk of going from My-Website.com to MySite.com is worth the risk?
    Skydiving is a safe sport if you follow the rules.
    Never put babies in car seats in the front seat of a vehicle.

What you want to do is feasible, and we are just cautioning you against the problems when you plan such a thing.