1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question SEO for dynamic seasonal content?

I have a job website that users can search and browse job openings in category listing.

There are some categories that are seasonal. A good example should be an "Outdoor Ski Staff" sub category, which I got some listing before & during winter.

However, in summer, there are zero job in this category, which makes the category page empty with no content at all.

This shouldn't be a good thing in google's eye. I'm thinking about temporary redirecting it to parent directory, or even home page.

Anyone came across the same case before? Thanks!
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

This is a tricky subject with no real correct answer, however I will give you my thoughts on this subject for what its worth.

Redirecting users to a different page is a bad user experience. It will surprise or disappoint a user to follow a link and end up somewhere else. However if you remove the page google could take weeks to get round to indexing it again and even longer for it to appear in SERPS. So having a 302 in place will inform google the page is temporally moved so it will keep checking back to see if its returned. The problem is though if this happens for too long google will treat a 302 redirect as a 301 and consider it as a permanent redirect.

So the issue is keeping users happy and google.
    If you was to leave the page but say sorry no jobs available that is also a bad user experience as this is called dead ending a user.

The way I think I would tackle it is to leave the page live with no jobs but explain that jobs in this genre are seasonal and state typically job postings start being posted around "give month" and invite the users to register their email address so you can inform them as jobs start appearing.

You could also show the types of jobs that where available from last season and which locations but of course make it clear that this jobs are no longer available.

Comments on this post

• KnowOneSpecial agrees : sorry no rep left Chedders
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare | Backlinking 101: Backlinking 101
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Chedders has given you some great advice, but to further his suggestions..

Have you ever thought to target year round seasonal jobs.. let me explain with a picture... I will use your example of "Outdoor Ski Staff"
    For content you could suggest these places, and with a little outreach on your part you may even get some business from these places.
    Post these as suggestions and you could possible monetize the pages with ads.

Get creative...