1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

SEO and CNAME forwarding to a fast server

Hello, everyone,

I have a client who is hosted with a company that does not support gzipping or or browser caching. Unfortunately, we can't move the domain to a different server. I am wondering what the SEO consequenses would be if I used DNS to point the domain's web service to a server with better features. And there may be an additional complication: the domain has SSL. Would the SSL protocol require the second server to have SSL, too? And can alll this be done in such a way that there will be no search engine rankings downside? Thanks a lot for your advice!
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Why not try the free version of cloudflare ? assuming you can change the name servers of the domain then cloudflare will give you the features you need and no need for a 2nd host
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  5. No Profile Picture

Unfortunately, the domain, dns and email must stay where they are. However, DNS could be used to serve the website from a different company. Would such a configuration negatively impact rankings? I believe using a simple meta redirect is advised against.
  7. Dinosaur

I think you miss understand the cloudflare offering, it just requires you to do a DNS change. The site remains where it is but traffic first goes to cloudflare which caches your content, It can drastically improve site performance and give you DDOS protection at a basic level.

Doing a redirect as you suggest is not the best solution.
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi, Chedders,

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I absolutely do not want to use a redirect. Yes, I would use DNS to point the web service to the a different server (whether it's Cloudflare or any other server I believe it shouldn't make a difference). I'm just wondering if using DNS in this manner has any negative impact on search engine rankings. What are your thoughts?
  11. Dinosaur

Unless there are issue with the server search engines dont really care where they are. The domain is separate from the hosting, you are free to point the CNAME to where ever you see fit.
    The only time it becomes an issue is if the server cant cope with the traffic which often happens with shared servers, again something like cloudflare helps take the load off your server during busy times.
    We had a site that got a mention on redit which hit the top posts, the traffic went mad so we had to switch on cloudflare to help as it was crashing the server

Once cloudflare took over as you can see it handled it with ease.
  13. No Profile Picture

Hi, Chedders,

Thanks! I'm just concerned Google may penalize because the domain services are split between servers. If not, awesome! Cloudflare looks great, too.
  15. Dinosaur

Its not an issue, There used to be a technique which could still be used called round robin. As a DNS can hold more than 1 IP address you can list several, it acts as a poor mans load balancer so each request goes to a different server. One company I was at they used this technique as their traffic was at silly levels and the above screen shoot would have been during quite periods, later we got proper load balancers in place to handle the traffic and had many servers serving the content. The site ranked #1 for a lot of terms and was not effected by having multiple IP address's.

I admit this was a while ago but I have not read anything to suggest this has changed.
  17. No Profile Picture

Hey, Chedders, thanks again!