1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

SEO best practise for domain change and internationalising

(bear in mind brand names/domains here are fake examples)

Ok, let's say I have an established business called 'ABCD Something' operating in the UK at abcsomething.co.uk, with high rankings on Google.

I have now obtained the domain abc.com and want to move over to this domain, as well as expand the business into the US and the rest of Europe. We will be rebranding the business as abcd.com rather than ABCD Something, and the different countries operations will be on separate sites:

abcd.com/uk
    abcd.com/us
    abcd.com/de
    etc.

How would I migrate to the new domain in such a way as to minimise the damage to our SEO? The new brand/domain will be far better in the long term but losing all of our search rankings in the short term could be catastrophic to the business so we could do with some advice.

Also, I'm not sure what to serve to visitors in European countries. We won't have dedicated sites for all those countries as we can't cater for all the languages, but we will still offer the service as long as they can deal with us in English - is it worth having an abcd.com/eu in English as a generic 'neutral' European site? Or should they just be served abcd.com/uk? What are the implications of these options for SEO?

Any advice/relevant information appreciated, thanks!
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

You need to hire a professional that has experience in these matters. Don't even attempt to pull this off on your own without a comprehensive report with a detailed plan from an experienced SEO professional.