1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Scoot directory.

I added a business to scoot a couple of months ago and today I got a phonecall asking if I wanted to upgrade.

I said no, purely on the basis of me despising coldcallers...

But what they said interested me. They claimed they were in partnership with 525 directories. If I upgraded, all these links would be turned into do-follow links if I upgraded membership.

I instantly thought 525 do-follow links within a week or two... that cannot be right?
    I then said, well my websites follow/dofollow ratio would look incredibly unhealthy, would it not?

They then replied if it was spammy links, yes, but we're partners with google.

I can see the benefits of scoot, but am I right in thinking upgrading would absolutely destroy my website?
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Dont do it

I feel I have every right in saying that, why ? I designed scoot and was one of 3 founders lol Its days where numbered so I sold it I find it so funny when they call me and try telling this BS as well.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  5. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Chedders
    Dont do it

I feel I have every right in saying that, why ? I designed scoot and was one of 3 founders lol Its days where numbered so I sold it I find it so funny when they call me and try telling this BS as well.
    I find that absolutely hilarious hahaha!

I said to the guy on the phone that I would ask someone who knew more about the subject. Then I happen to find the co founder!

Do you mind me asking what's bad about it now?
  7. Dinosaur

Directories have to be nofollow otherwise they become link farms. All nofollow links wont pass link juice so from a SEO point of view pointless. As soon as they start including do follow links then it will be seen in a bad light by google. I think it was only last week the DMOZ announced its closing. Directories really are dead now despite their claims. They will try and give you loads of statistics to prove that's not the case but ask yourself the last time you needed a plumber, builder florist or what ever did you look in a directory ? Everybody uses google or a review type site, which is what directories are trying to muscle in on to survive.

Scoot has changed a lot since I owned it, we used to have 2 types of listings 1. was the classified listing which we only sold 3 slots for that trade within that geolocation, 2. was what we called bulk data. That was every other company in the country, On the phone system (like 118 118) we would give out 3 telephone numbers and on the web we would list the first 3 advertisers then the bulk data. The first 3 used to rotate so everyone got the chance of being number 1.

We used to employ over 2,500 people to handle all these telephone calls and I had a dev team of 20 + 30 web developers this was all to support the amount of traffic it used to generate. It really was a huge deal in its day. Since then its been sold on and on and on and I think ITV own it now. Its a really poor version now of what it used to be.

I do find it funny though, apparently on their first day at scoot they are now given a talk on its history, Apparently 2 guys met in a pub 1 salesman and 1 techy person, together they came up with this idea of producing a directory you could access via the phone (this was prior to the internet) I was the techy apparently lol.
  9. Contributing User

I'm too young to remember Scoot in its prime, but I've just had a look into the history of the business and you must be so proud to have played a part in something which was so successful. It's inspiring to have someone who has done something so huge, sit on this forum on a daily basis and help newbies like myself out. Thank you

In terms of directories, I know Google's algorithm will adjust as we advance - and like you say, who really does use directories anymore? No one!
    But, from an SEO standpoint, do you still see no value? Even with human reviewed directories which do offer do-follows?

I like to monitor websites who are doing very well with extremely competitive terms, analyse their backlink profiles and overall SEO in general so I can learn more. And what I did notice, was that lot of UK websites which are ranking very well do have a lot of backlinks from these human reviewed directories?

So is it a case of being very selective, or directories are bad - end of?
    Last edited by matt1966; Mar 8th, 2017 at 05:51 PM.
  11. Dinosaur

Its a case of being very selective and dont just pick them because they are manually edited, even some manually edited ones are really spammy. I just would not expect huge things from them thats all.