1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Results in "People Also Ask" Section

When I searched for a core term for my client's site, there was a question about my client's company in "People Also Ask" section where instead of my client's page, the LinkdIn page of the client's company was ranking.

For example, suppose my client's site is google.com.
    The question in "People Also Ask" section was "what is google?". I was expecting my client's page (page of google.com) to be ranking as answer to this question.
    But that's not the case. LinkdIn page of google.com is coming up as answer.

Does anyone know why this is happening?
    Last edited by mikki007; Apr 19th, 2017 at 10:32 AM.
  3. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hello and welcome,

I think it's a little difficult to tell with the information you've provided. Can you give a link to the site (leave the http and www bits off please)?

Google tries to rank things based on how well they think a site will answer a searcher's query. If the query was, say, "job offers from X company," I could see the LinkedIn page ranking - that's what people use to search for jobs. Or maybe it was a search for social media profiles related to the company? The reasons will vary from query to query, and site to site. It's just kind of how Google works, I'm afraid.

Was there a popular blog post that got lots of links and exposure posted on the client's LinkedIn page? If so, it may be ranking for a certain query instead of the main site, where that popular blog post (and those links) don't exist. That's all speculative of course.
  5. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

This is a great example of creating social account can outrank the main site because of the social networks power.

I dont think the People also searched for update has hit the shores of the UK yet, if it has I have so far missed it. I think its only currently available in the USA. So I am afraid I cant see it.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hello Mark and Chedders,

Thanks for replying back.

I'm afraid that I can't share any client related information with anyone outside work.

But I can assure you that the query for which Linkdin page is ranking in PAA section is not related to job offers or social media profiles related to company.

To give you a better understanding of problem, I am using the following scenario-
    Suppose my client's root domain is Google.com and Maps is a business unit under Google.com (structured as google.com/country/maps/)
    So for one of the core term for Maps business unit, the question in PAA box was "What is Maps from Google"

If the page ranking for query on PAA is from root domain google.com or any other page from /maps/ folder, then that makes perfect sense.
    But Linkdin page of Google Maps is ranking for that query in 'People Also Ask' box.

What confuses me more is that while PAA box for "What is Maps from Google" is getting captured by Linkdin page, when you actually search for the same query, top five results are from google.com, a couple other are from websites taking about google maps, one facebook and twitter page of google maps and last one is Linkdin page.

I am not able to understand what is special in that Linkdin page. I tried looking at different angles - the text coming as answer to the query from Linkdin page is from open graph description, and my client's main page google.com/country/maps/ doesn't have open graph implemented. But other pages under /maps/ folder have og implementations, why aren't they being shown as answer (especially when query is so domain specific). Also pages from other website also have og implemented, why aren't they capturing PAA?

Please share your thoughts on this.
    Last edited by mikki007; Apr 19th, 2017 at 03:13 PM.
  9. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I cant really give you a proper answer and only guess at what is going on as its not rolled out yet worldwide, but open graph as far as I am aware is pretty much ignored by google. Or should I say I have not seen any evidence of its use in effecting search results. I know pages I control I have not seen any difference with pages with and without OG tags. So I would have thought that maybe a red herring.

As this is not world wide, I would imagine google are still in testing phase so maybe the results will alter as they fine tune it. I do agree though a social site appearing does seem odd assuming the site is strong in its own right. If the site is weak as we see often here then of course a social page can easy outrank the main domain.

Until I can see and test it though I am afraid I cant help you much, hopefully some of the members in the USA may have a better idea.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare