1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Referral Partner Content Strategy

Hi All,

My first post here so I hope someone can help.

I work for a company that has 85% of revenue generated from SEO. We also do PPC and have referral partners. Our referral partners want to republish content which already exists on our blog. Can anyone share some best practice guides for this? I know some news websites say "this article was originally published on website.com". Any help and suggestions for this would be helpful as we'd like to draw up a guide ourselves for our partners so that their actions don't negatively affect our hard earned SEO success.

Thanks in advance!
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

How much of your 'SEO success' is down to your blog articles?

I would 'dissuade them' from doing it, especially for written content. Images aren't so much of an issue but if multiple sites start quoting chunks of your content verbatim, it's not going to take long before it messes with your rankings/traffic.
    It's not so bad if someone writes their own article and quotes pieces from yours in the body ('blockquotes')... But in those instances you should normally expect a link back.
    If they wanted to repeat the entire post verbatim, I would insist that they "noindex" those pages (and link back).

If these are affiliates and you want to help, you could get a bunch of new publicity material written - with permission for them to use it - but I would keep it off my site (or in a 'noindex'/robots.txt/password-protected 'affiliates-only' area).
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks ClickyB, and apologies for the delay in responding. Currently 30% of SEO success is our blog articles. They have republished two entire posts verbatim so far with no link back. I agree with you on insisting they no index the pages and link back. I'm also looking for some reference material so that it's not just my opinion that this is the way it should be done. Could you point me in any direction that could help?

Thanks,
    Gillian
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by gillianmc898
    Thanks ClickyB, and apologies for the delay in responding. Currently 30% of SEO success is our blog articles. They have republished two entire posts verbatim so far with no link back. I agree with you on insisting they no index the pages and link back. I'm also looking for some reference material so that it's not just my opinion that this is the way it should be done. Could you point me in any direction that could help?

Thanks,
    Gillian
    Can I ask exactly what you're meant to be getting out of this partnership?