Thread: Redirects

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Redirects

Hello guys,

I just joined, I looked for similar problems on recent posts but couldn't find. So I write a new thread. Alright, I'm a travel blogger with limited SEO knowledge. But I'm slowly learning now.

I tried Google Search Console and I get this when I fetch my homepage or any other page. I understand that it's not a good thing since it showed a yellow question mark? Can someone help me by saying if it's a critical issue and how to fix it. I would really appreciate! Thanks!

My blog is here: inacitynearyou.net/
  3. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hello and welcome!

Based on the info you've provided, it looks like the www version of your homepage is redirecting into the non-www version of that page. That's normal if you did it on purpose - maybe with some kind of tool. I'm not trying to sound mean here, but this is something that a website owner would most likely remember doing. It would require consciously flipping a switch, as far as I know.

What happens with every other page? Do they all redirect back to the non-www of the homepage, or to a non-www version of themselves? If it's the latter I don't think that's a problem.

More here, if this is what's happening: https://support.google.com/webmaster...er/44231?hl=en

It is probably a yellow arrow just because redirects are something that the tool wants you to be aware of. Tools are nice, but they have no sense of context, so they will sometimes report critical and non-critical issues in the same language/color and expect the user to sort them out.

Hope that helps!
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by markroberts
    but this is something that a website owner would most likely remember doing. It would require consciously flipping a switch, as far as I know.
    Mark since it's a blog site, that www non www switch could be preset. I have seen that behavior many times with WordPress Themes and Plugins. Not unusual behavior.

The OP is using WordPress and depending on which SEO plugin, it could very well be defaulted to that setting.

Originally Posted by omaro2266
    I tried Google Search Console and I get this when I fetch my homepage or any other page. I understand that it's not a good thing since it showed a yellow question mark?
    Actually Google encourages you to select a preferred domain... either www or non-www. As long as this is a 301 and in your case it is a 301. Don't worry about it.. it is perfectly fine and is okay!

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees : Ahhh, makes sense.