1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Redirecting one site to another

I have an issue where I have two websites selling the same products. Both sites are 5-10 years old, have established rankings within Google and make sales independently. However, I have long considered redirecting one to the other. There is no real need to manage two sites.

The primary site sells goods within a particular industry, the other a particular category within that industry. Whilst the smaller, secondary site is exclusive to a particular area of a market, I'm not quite sure how significant this level of optimisation is to warrant keeping it separate. Although its primary keyword is within the domain name and the content is obviously solely about this particular area. It is not promoted or updated very often and only has approx. 500-1000 visitors per month.

What is the best thing to do?

1. Leave both sites a they are.
    2. Straight redirect from one to the other (I would redirect to the appropriate category of the larger site).
    3. Redirect individual product pages from one site to the other.
    4. Something else.

Many thanks
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

option 2 and 3

I included option 2 as the category pages would also need to be redirected to the appropriate category page.

Dont just think of the products though, all pages need to be dealt with, I assume you have a about us type page that needs to be done as well.
    IMHO
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your reply. Would you mind giving your reasons for going with option 2 or 3? I've posted this query on 3 SEO forums and so far couldn't have received a broader range of answers. On top of that, no one has really stated why exactly I should go with any of the options.

Many thanks
  7. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I did not say 2 or 3 I said 2 and 3

There are 2 reasons this is the route to go,
    Firstly users landing on category pages or product pages from the old site should be redirected to the new site and the category or product. Redirecting them somewhere else would be a poor user experience.
    Secondly if the old site is ranking then it will own some pagerank, by redirecting the old to the new page by page that page rank will be reserved and transferred to the new site.

To be honest every page needs to be looked at and redirected to the appropriate page. Yes I understand that maybe a lot of work but the rewards can be very much worthwhile doing. The new site will get a boost from the extra pagerank that its being feed with.

If doing the whole site page by page is going to be too big a job then the main pages you need to concern yourself with are pages which have external links to them. It is these pages that will carry majority of the ranking power.

Hope that explains why I said 2 and 3
    IMHO
  9. No Profile Picture

Thank you for the clarification. The admin involved in managing product page redirections is a bit of hassle but necessary if it's the most profitable solution. Would pages with external links lose some or all of the link juice from those links if a simple site redirect was put in place? How does this work exactly?