Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Redirecting expired domains

Hi,
    Thanks in advance for any useful advice.
    I’ve just bought 5 expired domains from Domain Hunter Gatherer. They are related to my niche and I want to 301redirect them to my money site. They are all about 10 years old and haven’t been active for at least 3 years so probably don’t have any traffic but according to Majestic have about 500 links each. I used the site recovery function on DHG to capture the website data necessary to rebuild them to their former glory and can upload to a new wordpress install if I want.
    I figure I have 2 choices:- a/ Restore the sites, put them on search console with a site map and reindex them then after a month 301redirect them to my money site or b/ 301redirect them straight away as they are from my hosting account .
    My question is ‘what would you do and why?’
    Again thanks for your help
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

‘what would you do and why?’
    I wouldn't do it full stop. Why - because it's ridiculously obvious
    Last edited by matt1966; Nov 20th, 2017 at 07:41 AM.
    Yorkshire tea will probably answer your question...
  5. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

You also realise I assume if any of these sites have any kind of penalty or a toxic backlink profile you will also redirect that to your money site.
    If the sites where doing well why was they dropped ?
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  7. No Profile Picture

There is a risk of redirecting a penalty to my site. The sites looked OK in the wayback machine and my plan had been to wait and see in the knowledge that if toxic I can un redirect it later. Do you know how I could test an expired (3yrs) for toxicity?
  9. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

If you make the site live does it rank ? If it has the backlink profile you hope it has then if all is good then it should rank.
    However I will repeat just to be clear, you are risking your main site just so you fully understand the risks
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  11. Contributing User

I'm no expert in blackhat SEO, I joined the club years after Google was unable to detect these things. But, Google has even created technology which allows cars to drive themselves, created robots which beat humans at complex games... machine learning is getting out of this world clever and at a faster rate than ever. Their search engine is their main asset, the asset I'm sure they'll continue to improve in all aspects - including abolishing spam.

You're planning on redirecting 5... yes 5 domains to your site, which have all been dead for years. Even if you were an absolute pro at blackhat SEO and you didn't get caught, Google will catch up with you... I wouldn't classify what you're doing as remotely discreet. If you have any pride in your business (if it is your business) then don't do it. If it's a short-term plan then I guess it could be worth a gamble, but if it's frustration with not doing well in the rankings now... don't give into it.
    Last edited by matt1966; Nov 21st, 2017 at 05:34 PM.
  13. No Profile Picture

I used Ahrefs to check my competition. My long established competitors are only licensed to operate in Ontario, Canada but to my surprise their links didn't come from local related businesses, they came from all over the world in totally unrelated industries in all sorts of languages, thousands of real garbage backlinks. Although I totally agree with your reasoned argument about googles' prowess from what I can see they are nowhere near as draconian in their censorship of websites as they could or should be. My content is thicker and of greater use to end users than my competitors content, my onpage SEO is better too but if my site is going to rank then I can't rely on playing nice, I have to adopt offpage tactics than win. It's the reality of being in a dogfight.
  15. Contributing User

How do you know they aren't disavowed?

Many websites will have cleaned up after panda, penguin etc. You cannot see their disavow file - look at my site on AHREFS, looks an absolute mess. 95% of those links don't count towards my ranking due to my disavow. In my opinion, from reading your posts; you're being tunnelled visioned in the sense that only the blackhat way will work. The white hat way will work, and better too. You're flapping your wings and hoping for a quick fix. Every experienced SEO here will tell you that you will 99.9% will regret it someday.
  17. No Profile Picture

I read a guest post on Moz last year by Margeret somebody that the new algorhythm didn't penalise bad links, just ignored them and disavowing was no longer necessary. If you've killed 95% of your links then maybe you overdid it..but I've ben wrong before so don't take my word for it. I believe the risk for me is a manual penalty which is resolved very quickly by saying 'sorry' and correcting the misdemeanor, and in the case of a redirect that means cancelling the redirect. That's my take on it but I might be wrong..
  19. Contributing User

From what I know, they very rarely give you manual penalties but that doesn't mean they won't devalue your site. Just because it's not in your webmaster tools does not mean you aren't being penalized.

No, I didn't overdo it, the spam needed to be gone.

I've never had a manual penalty but I'm 99% sure it's not 'sorry' and you're back to normally, pretty sure it takes months or even years to get back into good books... but yes, I could also be wrong about that...
  21. No Profile Picture

From what I have read and seen on youtube in the last day or so you are notified of a manual penalty on search console. Rectify the transgression and say sorry in correspondence with a live moderator and you can be back up in days. A algorithm penalty can hurt as you say for a lot longer, but manual (bizarrely) is a slap on the wrist.
  23. Contributing User

Why don't you just do it the proper way and avoid punishment, sleep well at night and give your business longevity? The only reason you're opting for can be only two reasons. 1) you're lazy or 2) you don't know how to do it the correct way.

I was speaking of this the other week, a competitor of mine has something stupid like 6 links pointing to this page. One of these links is a diamond of a backlink which transfers godly amounts of juice. They're destroying competitors with thousands of backlinks, others with a large quantity of pretty high-quality ones, because of this singular link. One link is doing the majority of the work.

I haven't been in SEO long enough to know the old days where masses of links gave you success, all I know is; I know people who have tried the route you're trying (even on my own site) and it doesn't always work... and it's a risk even if it does. There's a guy on here who I recently found out about... He supposedly owned the biggest network of pbn's in the world, pointing expired domains (like yourself), but the operation was worth millions... he had a very crafty well thought of plans on how not to get caught, though. I've been going back to the guy's posts on here, he was truly an absolute genius, I don't often say genius - but every post he made, I somehow just learnt something new... He got caught.

Just saying, you aren't planning on doing this in a strategic way... you'll easily be caught. Your site may never recover properly... or... you could just do it the proper way.
    Last edited by matt1966; Nov 21st, 2017 at 09:26 PM.
  25. No Profile Picture

I got started in aug 2016 with a wordpress site, I'm formerly a removals man with no former white collar experience. The way to build an online presence as I understand it is to develop good content for final users, good onpage seo (proper title tags, images tags, long content, h tags in question form) so that google understands what the page is about. Then the offpage seo, which is where I'm at now, I have an array of backlinks coming from image sites, video hosting sites, blogging sites and some industry related sites. 2 weeks ago I took a 7 day trial with Ahrefs and checked my competitions' (tons of spammy international links 100% unrelated to the industry), last week I took a trial with Domain Hunter Gatherer. Next week I'll be doing a trial with Brightlocal. I've looked at Buzzstream, Buzzsumo and other tools. I watch videos on growth hacking and anything else that might help me move forward.
    My website is mortgages, one of the expired sites was an investment site. I have created a new page on my site entitled: /investments stocks and shares and investment vehicles/. I have 301redirected the expired site to this page. On the page I have put a contact form so that people wishing further information can contact me. (I doubt very much that the form will ever get used) This seems to me to be questionable enough that Google will give me the benefit of the doubt if they ever take a look at it.
    I know you don't agree with this but I'm in a tough business and need to play by the same rules as my competition.
  27. Contributing User

I'm not talking about morals, I'm talking about what is best. The proper way would be more effective... likely to be anyway. By the sounds of it, you aren't experienced - it can actually be quite hard to figure out the good and the bad in regards to links. You're now going to point domains to your domain, Chedders is quite right in saying; if that investment firm had such a good backlink profile, why did they go under? No joke, the 5 domains pointing to your site could have a negative impact on your site. Not talking about in a month, year, potentially virtually right away.

If your keyword is mortgage related though, I highly doubt banks etc will use PBN's / spammy crap... furthermore they will 110% have employees who manage their SEO. If that's the case the links you're classifying as spammy, (if they are spammy) will 110% be disavowed.

Either way, I won't try and persuade you anymore. You'll learn from your own mistakes, I guess it's the best way to learn. Good luck bud
    Last edited by matt1966; Nov 21st, 2017 at 10:29 PM.
  29. No Profile Picture

The banks aren't my competition, Mortgage brokers provide loans to people who meet the banks' criteria like self employed and bad credit clients. My competition is other brokers, the number one broker in my market is NorthwoodMortgage.com. If you have the tools you will see the spammiest backlink profile ever!
    I'm only pointing one not 5.

Bad links are now ignored by google. See moz.com/blog/do-we-still-need-to-disavow-penguin by Marie Haynes (not Margeret somebody)
    Maybe the owner of the investment company, retired, got put in prison for fraud, found something more profitable or something else. All we know is the site didn't get renewed.
    Last edited by Hikin Mike; Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:46 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: