1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Rebranding from Old Domain to New

I have a client who currently has an old website and a new eCommerce website.
    The old website ranks well and is the exact company name let's just call it ABCshoes.com
    Their new website doesn't rank well called ABCstore.com

Currently there are competitors with domains ABCshoes.au that rank right under the old website.

I believe if I 301 all links to their old website to the new one, they will lose in ranking to the competitor website.

I'm at the point where I think outright removing the new domain and using the old domain as the new eCommerce site while 301ing the old links would be the best solution, but client is quite adamant about rebranding.

Or I should keep both domains, focus on SEO for the new domain and when it begins to rank higher than the competitor then I will 301 the old site? Is there a drawback to this?

All opinions, thoughts, is appreciated. Thanks
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

I believe if I 301 all links to their old website to the new one, they will lose in ranking to the competitor website.
    I assume you mean from the old website to the new one.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by bbmm1828
    Or I should keep both domains, focus on SEO for the new domain and when it begins to rank higher than the competitor then I will 301 the old site? Is there a drawback to this?
    I would do it in this order......

Definitely keep both domains.

Get the new site finished and ready for deployment. Including "On-page SEO".

Redirect the old site via 301 url for url to the new site to minimize 404 errors and capitalize on existing in-bound link juice when the new site is ready.

Then in a very little time the new site should take over the rankings of the old site and push your competitors down in the serps.

Comments on this post

• Chedders agrees
  7. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

I would add, any backlinks you control or can get changed I would change them to the new site where possible and goto the final page.
    The 301 will handle it but you really need to minimise 301 redirect chains, What you dont want is a redirect landing on a page that is redirected then redirected again. So its worth putting the effort in now for the future to prevent this happening. So for example

olddomain.com redirect to newdomain.com
    newdomain.com redirects to www.domain.com
    www.domain.com redirects to https:www.domain.com

Although this works its called a 301 chain and if you add to that chain sometime in the future you could find google gives up following it which could effect the ability to rank.
    Its really easy to forget these chains and over time add top it so it is good housekeeping to do it correctly from the start.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  9. No Profile Picture
    Banned

For rebranding from old domine to new, we should use 301 redirect. It is considered as one of the most effective ways of performing redirects on any
    website. When a web address has been changed permanently, it is best to use 301 redirects which
    will redirect all the users to the new web address.
    With this redirect, the search engine passes all the values associated with the old website to the new
    website. Moreover, 301 redirect also pushes all the link juice to the new web address that keeps the
    ranking of the website unaffected.
  11. Contributing User

We worked on a project similar to this for a client on a major ecommerce platform change. Once the new platform was ready & fully UX tested, we used the existing domain for the new ecommerce store. That had many benefits, we kept all the static content on its existing URLs to keep existing backlinks, we created redirects for the old ecommerce pages that still had good search rankings (old out of stock products) to the most similar new pages to pass that link juice.

This may be a stupid question, but could you not launch (or migrate if this has happened recently & the new domain does not have any authority) the new ecommerce store on the existing domain?

By the sound of it the old site was not ecommerce, but that way you keep all the existing static page content live on the same old domain (it'd need some work to recreate it) and use the DA of the old site to help rank the new ecommerce pages immediately?
    Last edited by Insite Web; Oct 28th, 2017 at 08:36 AM.