Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Rankings are dropping for 6 months now

Hi

I am helping a small website ( http://bit.ly/2iMqhFj ) and for some reason the rankings keep falling, especially after August 2017:
    Major keyword went from #9 (April 2017) to #13 (August 2017) to #50 (November 2017).

I believe there are quality backlinks from articles and guest posts. Quality content too from a Q&A forum : http://bit.ly/2zZPCjd

One very peculiar symptom is that the goo.gl shortlinks I generate for this website are all disabled, it seems that google thinks my website is spam.
    For example: goo.gl/JZQtGy

There are no manual actions in webmastertools. The website comes out clean in every online test I do for spam.

I thought that maybe the IP (currently on Cloudflare) is bad. But the shortlinks of other websites on the same IP do not have a problem with goo.gl shortlinks.

I run this url on many tools like Ahrefs, Majestic, CognitiveSEO etc. It usually comes on top of all other competitors. But google reality is much much different.

Anybody can help with this?
  3. Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I think you have quite a few sites linking to you which have just scraped Wikipedia... like nosmut.com/Greek_language.html
    Apparently, Google will just ignore these types of sites which do this so I don't think they'd harm you, but I'd personally disavow the links

After clicking on 5-10 linking domains none of them seem of good quality to be honest.

If you've dropped from 9th the 50th you'd think that would be some sort of algorithmic penalty to be honest although more experienced members will know more than me in the department.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Matt

Here are 3 of the best links. 2 guest posts:
    http://bit.ly/2iNFW4h
    http://bit.ly/2zzOCWj

And one interview in an online newspaper:
    http://bit.ly/2r6mDFN
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Nov 24th, 2017 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Delinked and warned
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

And here is one of the first backlinks, from a language related site:
    http://bit.ly/2zktOOc
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Nov 24th, 2017 at 10:40 PM. Reason: delinked
  9. Moderator

I think you're looking more on the attack opposed to defense. I think your number one priority should be to ensure your backlink profile is healthy... It doesn't matter if you have a couple of good links, if you have loads of crappy ones too, I'm pretty sure the crap will filter out any good you have.

For you to go from the 1st page, to 6th page, you must be doing something Google really doesn't like. Unless there's a huge technical issue, it would point to your backlink profile - after having a brief look it did look spammy.. so educated guess is that it's that
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Matt

Thank you very much for the help.

Please let us clarify what those spam links may be:
    1) The wikipedia copies which we already talked about
    2) Some random links from chinese or rusian sites, I think they copied my images. I really do not know how they came. Should I disavoy them?
    3) Some free ads I have posted:
    bit.ly/2zl8qIH
    bit.ly/2n1gXid
    4) We have subscriped and responded to HARO queries (journalists writting stories for online newspapers). As a result we have been part of articles in the media and I consider those high quality links. Am I doing something wrong here?
    bit.ly/2zBiqlw
    bit.ly/2y3FpDO
    bit.ly/2jYhFf2
    bit.ly/2n0b4SI

Regarding #3, I did those as I was trying to duplicate the backlinks from a competitor ie he made those links first. This is the competitor:
    bit.ly/2i2GGVW

So what should I do? Remove/disavoy the #3 links? Then why does the competitor pursues them? It does not make sense.

Another issue: payed links. This competitor I know for sure that has payed for advertorials (directly or indirectly). This one for sure:
    bit.ly/2A7FDuF

I know because I was negotiating with the same newspaper. Good thing I did not do it, now I knwow that I would be considering removing the payed link.

Ahrefs reports that they have more than 15.000 backlinks. 99% are very very low quality, like the above mentioned. They used to have 20.500 such backlinks last year. How come google does not penalize them and keeps them at the top ranks?
    Last edited by bobptz; Nov 25th, 2017 at 04:19 AM.
  13. Moderator

As you're on page 6, I would personally disavow anything which is remotely spammy, I mean... What do you have to lose? Concentrate on yourself opposed to your competitors.

Also, have you ever used screaming frog (it's free) to crawl your site? do that to make sure the correct redirects are in place etc
  15. Moderator

I'm short on time, but I just ran it through a tool i have and there's 1006 duplicate titles, so something isn't right there. Probably a big issue technically too, use screaming frog to check
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you very much Matt

I do have screaming frog and have run it several times. I will do it again.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Matt

Could you please send me a screenshot of this?

I just run screamingfrog and found no duplicate titles. But I have the free version with a 500 pages limit.

Are you putting the https:// in front of the url? If you only use the domain name, then it may pick the subdomain too.
    main site: bit.ly/2iMqhFj
    subdomain (development version): bit.ly/2A6H3Fy

Could this be a problem? Could it be that google picks up the subdomain and thinks it is duplicate content?

I made a check and it seems that google is not aware of the subdomain. HOWEVER, I just noticed that some subpages that are not supposed to appear, it is possible to view them and they are indexed! Which IS duplicate content:
    bit.ly/2i4phMw

Working on it right now, to make them vanish.

EDIT: I just made a search for site:https://dev.mywebsite.com
    Google somehow has indexed 2 of the dev site pages.

What is the best way to have a working development version, away from the search engines? the robots.txt?
    Last edited by bobptz; Nov 25th, 2017 at 09:12 AM.
  21. Moderator

Duplicate titles mainly come from register pages, checkout pages

duplicate-titles.png

If the subdomain has the same content I should think that will probably cause issues if it's duplicate content too. disallowing on robots.txt should be ok although others can correct me if I'm wrong, although the issues I saw weren't on the subdomain

I think overall you have a lot of work to do, i'd try to make your technical / on page seo perfect, and get rid of your spammy links, to be honest I'm not too shocked you aren't doing too well in the SERPS. At least there's an obvious issue(s), which is good news really

more screenshots:

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 15.30.21.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 15.30.09.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 15.26.54.png
    Last edited by matt1966; Nov 25th, 2017 at 09:41 AM.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi

Thank you for the screenshot. These are pages generated by the forum. I'll see what I can do with them.

I will fix all those, upgrade the site, and check again.

Thank you so much.
  25. Moderator

Should be noted that I'm no expert, it's just what I would personally do. Good luck though!
  27. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

On your dev site add the following in the head section

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW">
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare | Backlinking 101: Backlinking 101
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Chedders

Thank you very much for the tip. Already added this to my dev version.

I am addressing one my one the issues. I am looking at the 1006 duplicate titles:
    http://forums.seochat.com/attachment...5&d=1511623722

I think this is not an issue. What happens is that for each forum post, screaming from follows the [register] link and goes to a dynamically produced page. For each page found, one such page may be produced.

Google webmastertools reports :
    325 URLs submitted

311 URLs indexed

So I am certain that all those pages are not indexed. I will ask the forum developers how to takle this. I am sure it is a common issue, not very particular to my website.

Thank you again guys. I have made many attempts regarding those SEO issues and first time I have feedback that shows how to fix real problems.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page: