1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Ranking for desirable keywords on homepage, could I do better with dedicated page?

Hi! I am ranking at number 8/9 in the UK for 'fareham web design' (or just 'web design' when searching from local search) with a homepage that is not even that geared to that keyword (other than being in page title and mentioned in copy).

The reason I don't want to target my homepage strongly for this keyword is that I offer a number of other international services.

I was thinking of making a more heavily target /fareham-web-design/ page that I think would be more useful for local businesses searching for my site but also possibly rank a bit better in Google?

What I am worried about is creating this page and having the page knock my current home off the front page and then the page not ranking as well. What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by amazorize; Sep 15th, 2018 at 05:07 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Hi amazorize

Originally Posted by amazorize
    I was thinking of making a more heavily target /fareham-web-design/ page that I think would be more useful for local businesses searching for my site but also possibly rank a bit better in Google?

Why would folks that don't know about you be searching for your site specifically ? If they know about your site, they would just go to it and not search for it as you put it.

Originally Posted by amazorize
    What I am worried about is creating this page and having the page knock my current home off the front page and then the page not ranking as well
    This really makes no sense what-so-ever. Think about it for a minute. You create an inner page that pushes down the #9 serp results and replaces it. Then you're worried it doesn't rank and both pages disappear.

Well if that page pushes down the currently ranking pages in the serps and that page then disappears, don't you that the pushed down pages will return, which in fact those pages will float back up in the serps.

You are approaching this in the wrong manner. I often rank inner pages in the hopes that it does exactly that, meaning that inner page is more useful and pertinent to the search query and replaces the current pages on page one of the serps.

This is exactly what SEO and Digital Marketing is all about, making pages appear on page one of the serps and pushing other pages down off of page one.

If you create this new page, obviously you want this page to bump your homepage. I just would not go changing my home page content until I finished creating my new page and ranking it.

The lesson you should have learned from this is...

Your homepage is ranking for this term because it is in the page title and mentioned in the content in a natural manner.

Leave your home page alone and create the page.