1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Rank fall on one specific keyword. What would cause this?

Organically we ranked on page 1 for years. I check our position each day as pathetic as that sounds. I've also got a SEO team who works for us monthly.

What happened today is I logged into my rank checker to check the position on all our words and found one of my major keywords fell 12 spots. The odd thing that I don't understand is that where it used to link directly to my main home page when you would search this keyword it is now linking into an inside page within my website.

I've read all kind of things online about why this would happen but it only relates to a ranking on all key words not one specific keyword and I'm only seeing this drop on one keyword. When you search the keyword our main website disappears completely from search engines and only one of our inner pages is showing which has gone from page 1 to page three overnight all of my other positioning for the rest of my keyword Remains the Same.
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Have you spoken to this SEO team ? I have seen this happen when a PBN gets taken out by google. I am just wondering if some of their work has suddenly lost its power.
    Also what changes have you made on the few weeks prior to this drop ?
    Unfortunately to get to the root cause its going to require you to ask lots of questions with everyone involved with the site to eliminate all possible reasons.
    I am assuming you have checked in search console and not had any penalty applied of course.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare | Backlinking 101: Backlinking 101
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Chedders
    Have you spoken to this SEO team ? I have seen this happen when a PBN gets taken out by google. I am just wondering if some of their work has suddenly lost its power.
    Also what changes have you made on the few weeks prior to this drop ?
    Unfortunately to get to the root cause its going to require you to ask lots of questions with everyone involved with the site to eliminate all possible reasons.
    I am assuming you have checked in search console and not had any penalty applied of course.

No not yet, I assume since its Sunday they aren't around, so I've left a msg about the situation. Its just so odd its this one keyword.

And whats even stranger is our main domain is no longer showing in the results now its got a www.maindomain.com/inner-page.html type of URL. Its been shifting all over the place today. I checked it again tonight, and now were back on page 2 but in the middle.

I use Profitbysearch for my SEO, from what I see on google they are ranked pretty high. Is there a way to see if they are penalized.
  7. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

If its their PBN thats been taken out and thats just a pure guess then you wont be able to check as it would a collection of all different sites linking to each other with a single purpose of generating link juice for clients.
    Sorry I cant be of more help but it will require a lot of digging to track down the issue.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare | Backlinking 101: Backlinking 101