1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Post Question About Google Optimization

Hello, I'm an SEO Content writer who is trying to learn more about the nitty-gritty of SEO
    writing in order to bring fresh ideas to the table, help my coworkers, and further the success of my
    company.

There is one question that's been on my mind.

I am VERY familiar in how to search on google, and would like some more experienced SEO writers
    to help me determine if my theories are correct.

Theory 1: the phrase "roofing contractors in chicago" would search the same as "roofing contractors chicago"
    I mainly wonder because when using the desired keyphrase, being able to add the word "in" can help
    make the writing less clunky. Would the two rank the same? Or is one better than the other?

Theory 2: similar keywords. What are some of the best tools to use to procure keywords to use in writing
    to help a piece of content rank better on google? We have a tool that does so, but I recently discovered
    that it does something that is detrimental to our business, so i'd like to pitch to my boss any alternatives
    if there are any.

Thank you very much!
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Theory 1: the phrase "roofing contractors in Chicago" would search the same as "roofing contractors Chicago"

I had this issue when ranking a service. "Massage in ____" rolls a lot better of the tongue than "Massage ____"

I made sure that the exact term was in the Title, but within the content, I tried to just make it flow through putting the "in" in. In some sentences, you can actually remove the "in" and make it sound right, depends really. "We're the most competitively priced Chicago roofing contractors" sounds fine, just removes the "in"... I mean, it's good to do both because both terms will be searched on Google, furthermore because they're so similar they should help each other climb the ladder in my opinion.

Theory 2: similar keywords. What are some of the best tools to use to procure keywords to use in writing
    to help a piece of content rank better on google? We have a tool that does so, but I recently discovered
    that it does something that is detrimental to our business, so i'd like to pitch to my boss any alternatives
    if there are any.

Google's probably a good place to start in the suggestions area.

For your keyword:

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 16.53.10.png
    Yorkshire tea will probably answer your question...
  5. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

The biggest issue is intent here, by that I mean the intent of the user with the search, using the word in plus a location indicates to google they are after the product or service within that area but without the in that does not always apply. I am pretty sure as well that the word "in" is one of the stop words so if used or not it may not have much bearing on things, although google may use it to understand the users intent it may not be required to be found verbatim, so this is where a postal address correctly tagged with schema could take over and match the search for you.

As for your other question, as a content writer I am sure you must know of a few synonym websites, these are really useful to make sure you have all the bases covered or to give you ideas. The issue is not to get too bogged down in fitting in keywords and trying to adjust what your writing to fit in that ideal keyword but to let it flow and write for the users about the topic in question. Quite often it is easy to spot content that has been given a list of keywords they must fit in, It just dont read and flow correctly.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare